Newark Fire P25 system garbled..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJParamedic

Anyone here monitor Newark Fire and notice a lot of garbled/missing audio during transmissions? I'm listening from a BCD436HP and it's happening a lot.

Seems like it's happening more as of late...

Thanks

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Are you on a simulcast site? If so, you might try playing with the attenuation settings, and the P25 settings. The default I believe is AUTO and 8. For my P25 simulcast site, I had to change that to MANUAL and 5. Experiment with different settings.

If its not a simulcast site, perhaps you need a better antenna. The one that came with the scanner is pretty useless around here on 800 Mhz systems.

NJParamedic

Are you on a simulcast site? If so, you might try playing with the attenuation settings, and the P25 settings. The default I believe is AUTO and 8. For my P25 simulcast site, I had to change that to MANUAL and 5. Experiment with different settings.

If its not a simulcast site, perhaps you need a better antenna. The one that came with the scanner is pretty useless around here on 800 Mhz systems.

Yes, I'm on a simulcast site.I guess I'll play with the settings, but I wouldn't really know what to do. Thanks.

AC2OY

Actually Patrick I have had the scanner for a few hours now, I don't hear Newsrk Fire at all! The NPD audio got softer on a few districts like the 2nd....wierd I guess? Actually just heard Newark Fire all good here!!

Last edited:

ff75

With the new system can I hear Newark anywhere in the state now? Or can it only be heard by Newark? I'm out on the western part of Morris county and have had my 436 on discovery for a few days with some sites and the only site with a hit was Randolph and it was 4secs for a tag to be ran

SCPD

QRT
Probably

I dont see why not just set your 436/536 hp for Nj PSIC and pick the closest site.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
First, the reason you are hearing garbled transmissions is because the NJICS uses linear simulcast modulation or "LSM." There are several threads in the Uniden Forums that explain why today's scanners are having a difficult time demodulating the audio. The basic concept is you are receiving a signal from two sites at different times, causing garbled, inaudible or missed transmissions. The NJICS system is also a Phase II system, meaning it uses TDMA vs FDMA. Newark Fire runs TDMA and I've also noticed the scanner having a more difficult time compared to lets say Fairfield PD, who is running FDMA. If I have my scanner in the same spot, I'll hear Fairfield clear as the day while Newark is all garbled. If you again go to the Uniden forums, you will see countless posts of complaints. It's not a GRE/Whister vs. Uniden one is better than the other either as I get the same results regardless of brand used. Until a scanner manufacturer decides to spend the $$$ on proper HARDWARE (not firmware update), you'll never get the type of audio quality you would compared to an XTL5000 or APX for that matter.

As far as scanning all available sites and locking on one, I will say that is not a good idea for this system. Certain traffic is carried over certain sites and not on other sites. So, if you are locked on to Randolph, you wont hear Newark Fire which primarily uses the West Orange Simulcast (unless a Newark FD radio affiliates to Randolph). This is why sometimes you'll see posts of activity on a certain site that comes and goes. For example, a poster heard Newark Fire on the Bordentown site which is unusual. However, that was the day that Newark had a 2 alarm structure fire so I'm sure it was an off-duty who lived down there turning on his portable and listening in. Try programming West Orange as a standalon system if you can hear it from your location.

W2IRT

Just an FYI, I have a 996XT, which doesn't do TDMA, and most days I'm hearing Newark FD with no problems on the same West Orange simulcast site as I do Fairfield. I'm guessing they have at least one phase one radio in a vehicle or a portable, etc, hence everything's downgraded to phase one.

NJParamedic

First, the reason you are hearing garbled transmissions is because the NJICS uses linear simulcast modulation or "LSM." There are several threads in the Uniden Forums that explain why today's scanners are having a difficult time demodulating the audio. The basic concept is you are receiving a signal from two sites at different times, causing garbled, inaudible or missed transmissions. The NJICS system is also a Phase II system, meaning it uses TDMA vs FDMA. Newark Fire runs TDMA and I've also noticed the scanner having a more difficult time compared to lets say Fairfield PD, who is running FDMA. If I have my scanner in the same spot, I'll hear Fairfield clear as the day while Newark is all garbled. If you again go to the Uniden forums, you will see countless posts of complaints. It's not a GRE/Whister vs. Uniden one is better than the other either as I get the same results regardless of brand used. Until a scanner manufacturer decides to spend the $$$ on proper HARDWARE (not firmware update), you'll never get the type of audio quality you would compared to an XTL5000 or APX for that matter.

As far as scanning all available sites and locking on one, I will say that is not a good idea for this system. Certain traffic is carried over certain sites and not on other sites. So, if you are locked on to Randolph, you wont hear Newark Fire which primarily uses the West Orange Simulcast (unless a Newark FD radio affiliates to Randolph). This is why sometimes you'll see posts of activity on a certain site that comes and goes. For example, a poster heard Newark Fire on the Bordentown site which is unusual. However, that was the day that Newark had a 2 alarm structure fire so I'm sure it was an off-duty who lived down there turning on his portable and listening in. Try programming West Orange as a standalon system if you can hear it from your location.

Very well written and helpful post. I now have a better understanding. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.