Newark NJ Fire Dept

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJParamedic

They use the West Orange Simulcast.

They are my favorite fire department to listen to, but get ready for tons of distorted/missing audio.

AC2OY

Patrick for some surprising reason on my 536 I hear them pretty good a bit muffled like a lot of p25 stuff but enough to understand what they are saying. Their dispatchers fly when they call out the engines,battalions,trucks...ect.

Analogrules

Nevermind, I just saw the answer to my question above on another thread. It is really a shame that all of these agencies keep moving to this new 700 system. Now you can only monitor them with an ultra expensive digital scanner. I am sure eventually it will all go encrypted, and the entire hobby will become useless. I really enjoy listening to the nj transit police, but looks like they will be moving too!

AC2OY

Nevermind, I just saw the answer to my question above on another thread. It is really a shame that all of these agencies keep moving to this new 700 system. Now you can only monitor them with an ultra expensive digital scanner. I am sure eventually it will all go encrypted, and the entire hobby will become useless. I really enjoy listening to the nj transit police, but looks like they will be moving too!

I can't disagree with you. Who knew my town's Police went over as well. So I did myself a favor in buying a $600.00 police scanner just to hear Newark Fire and the P25 Phase 2 stuff. I hope stuff doesn't go totally encrypted because if that's the case....you know.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

If you browse some of the other threads there's posts stating the 700 MHz will NOT be totally encrypted,also NJTPD is on the 800 MHz system and is being simulcasted to the NJICS system.

Analogrules

I hope that's true Elias. I can still hear NJ Transit PD on their 160 MHz frequencies on my outdated, analog scanner. Is the brand new BCD536 scanner the only one that can pick up the NJICS frequencies or would any digital scanner do the trick?

elias1988

Feed Provider
Is the brand new BCD536 scanner the only one that can pick up the NJICS frequencies or would any digital scanner do the trick?

BCD536,BCD436 and PSR-800 are currently the only scanners that can pick up Phase II TGs on the system but yeah any digital scanner that can track 700 MHz systems can work on the system with Phase I TGs.

MrAntiDigital

I agree. I just keep writing the places off as they go to these digital channels. I bought myself a $500.00 portable scanner when my first favorite department went to digital. Had to get the thing programmed and it wasn't free. Also bought an outside 800 antenna for my car. I am not too happy about the whole thing and many places the reception is not at all as good.

When I used to make a few trips to Newark it was easy. Just push 1 - 5 - 4 - . - 1 - 3 and then Enter and I was all set. The reception was perfect.

It's over. I sure am glad I was around to enjoy it when it was a great hobby. I could drive I-95 and program just about any department along the way. Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth. As I drove farther south it was Camden, Philly, then Baltimore, D.C. etc. It can't be done today.

For those younger members who have never had the chance to enjoy listening as I did, you really missed out on a great time. Of course we did not have cell phones, computers, digital cameras, or GPS. But listening to Newark or any other city FD was a very simple thing to do. And the reception was great, WITHOUT an outside mobile antenna.

AC2OY

I agree. I just keep writing the places off as they go to these digital channels. I bought myself a $500.00 portable scanner when my first favorite department went to digital. Had to get the thing programmed and it wasn't free. Also bought an outside 800 antenna for my car. I am not too happy about the whole thing and many places the reception is not at all as good.

When I used to make a few trips to Newark it was easy. Just push 1 - 5 - 4 - . - 1 - 3 and then Enter and I was all set. The reception was perfect.

It's over. I sure am glad I was around to enjoy it when it was a great hobby. I could drive I-95 and program just about any department along the way. Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth. As I drove farther south it was Camden, Philly, then Baltimore, D.C. etc. It can't be done today.

For those younger members who have never had the chance to enjoy listening as I did, you really missed out on a great time. Of course we did not have cell phones, computers, digital cameras, or GPS. But listening to Newark or any other city FD was a very simple thing to do. And the reception was great, WITHOUT an outside mobile antenna.
NFD their Police department reception has been excellent as long as I can remember!!!

KC2zZe

Encryption concerns acknowledged. I've written an extensive editorial piece on that issue as it pertains to scanning in the latest edition of Scanner Digest, so I'm not going to repeat myself here, but I see no reason to get all down in the dumps about the hobby, guys. Look at the bright side of things with me. Yeah, I know, hardware is getting more expensive to buy and gone are the days of a used $20.00 portable doing the trick. But think of the advantages these new fangled systems have to offer. All of the examples you cited above were of repeated systems. How about all of the simplex systems that have switched over to trunked networks. I had a hard time hearing some mobile units and never heard portables on one system I regularly monitored, but when they switched to a local P25 trunked system - wow. Both sides of the conversation - no problem. Change is inevitible. I like a walk down memory lane once in a while too, but I always remember how to get back to the road going forward.

MrAntiDigital

Digital is just not for me. I'm just very thankful for the days I had listening to just about any city I wanted to. Just by pushing a few buttons. From Maine to Florida or from Boston to LA. Just get the frequency and off you go. I just consider myself so lucky to be around long before the days of digital.

For those that are happy about it, I respect your opinion and thoughts. You are certainly entitled to that. I'm just a little down in the dumps because what myself and many of my buddies enjoyed, has been taken away. We all know how good it was and are starting to feel withdrawal symptoms.

I hope you will be able to enjoy the hobby for as long as we did.

Analogrules

I agree with NFD. When I first started with this hobby, I was even able to monitor secret service on my analog scanner whenever the President came to town along with FBI operations, etc.... Those days are long gone. Of course, in light of events this decade, I can totally understand why they had to make certain communications encrypted. Hopefully, everything won't go encrypted in my lifetime, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

jaymatt1978

I was under the impression Newark FD has ACCESS to the system and they use it when responding to scenes either on the Turnpike or out of town. When they're in the city they still use 154.1300. Is this still true??

slingshot202

Feed Provider
The only thing I heard the other day on 154.130 was a page for HQ 17 (Bell & Siren). Other than that, the channel is dead.

I also heard a few of the new dispatchers training there in May, but, it has gone quiet.

What a shame.

Analogrules

This afternoon, I heard 154.130 keyed up a couple of times. Therefore, I know it still exists. They will probably keep it as a back-up, just in case they encounter too much interference or other problems on the digital system.

W2IRT

Occasionally I've heard them revert to analog (I don't have a TDMA scanner) but most of the time their TG is quiet. At least there's a good reliable online feed for them, so there is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.