Newark, OH - County eyes consolidation of sheriff’s, 911 dispatch centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibagli

County eyes consolidation of sheriff

Licking County plans to combine the county sheriff’s dispatch center with the county’s 911 emergency services center.

County commissioner Tim Bubb said he’d spoken with Sheriff Randy Thorp during the past two years about combining the 911 dispatch center with the sheriff’s dispatch center, which is in the basement of the county jail and considered outdated. Thanks to the “gift” of an old corrections center from the state of Ohio, Bubb said, a combined dispatch center will likely be a reality by the end of the year.

LiberaFan08

If I'm understanding this correctly, Franklin County is helping them with the grant funding part of this so they can pay for this 1 to 2 million dollar project. I'm assuming that this is what it will cost to renovate and equip this "free" building. But what about the actual radio system itself ? What does the county plan to do about mandatory narrowbanding ? Certainly they will have to do something before January 1, 2013. Maybe this would be a good time to put everybody on MARCS ? I can't help but wonder what Newark PD and FD are planning to do before the big deadline too ?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
If I'm understanding this correctly, Franklin County is helping them with the grant funding part of this so they can pay for this 1 to 2 million dollar project. I'm assuming that this is what it will cost to renovate and equip this "free" building. But what about the actual radio system itself ? What does the county plan to do about mandatory narrowbanding ? Certainly they will have to do something before January 1, 2013. Maybe this would be a good time to put everybody on MARCS ? I can't help but wonder what Newark PD and FD are planning to do before the big deadline too ?

Read more carefully... It doesn't say Franklin County, it says they're working with "a Franklin County 911 dispatch center..." in an attempt to obtain grant funding (of which there is virtually none left) for collective technology, etc etc. You all can probably figure out which dispatch center (it should be pretty obvious).

As far as narrowbanding, most departments are already there, having purchased new VHF systems over the last few years which are narrowband compliant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.