Newark Pd Helo

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshua86

Lately (i go to newark everyday) Ive been seeing a low flying all black, with no markings, helocopter flying around newark. I think it belongs to newark police. I have no idea what they have been doing (as far as I can see they arent following around any ground units and they dont seem to have a planned route), but more importantly if it does belong to NPD they arent using any of the listed frequencies for NPD,(I always have my scanner on in Newark and I havent heard anything even remotely sounding like helo ops.) anyone have any info or frequeancies?

asnhnetwork

Newark PD does have a helo with the radio ID of ABLE 1. They opereate on the freq of whatever Precinct they are in. 1 person told me they were based out of CDW (Caldwell Airport) 1 other told me HHI Heliport in Kearny.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
Lately (i go to newark everyday) Ive been seeing a low flying all black, with no markings, helocopter flying around newark. I think it belongs to newark police. I have no idea what they have been doing (as far as I can see they arent following around any ground units and they dont seem to have a planned route), but more importantly if it does belong to NPD they arent using any of the listed frequencies for NPD,(I always have my scanner on in Newark and I havent heard anything even remotely sounding like helo ops.) anyone have any info or frequeancies?

If it is black with no markings it is most likely a federal unit like the FBI or something like that. As for Newark having a helicopter I didnt know they even had an air unit. The FBI has been pretty busy with following people lately in the tri-state area. If you listen to their frequencies you will hear alot of chatter on tails,also the US Marshalls have been following alot of people too from the sound of the chatter.

ansky

The FBI has been pretty busy with following people lately in the tri-state area. If you listen to their frequencies you will hear alot of chatter on tails,also the US Marshalls have been following alot of people too from the sound of the chatter.

What FBI frequencies do you listen to? I always thought they were encrypted.

blinkthing

If it is black with no markings it is most likely a federal unit like the FBI or something like that. As for Newark having a helicopter I didnt know they even had an air unit. The FBI has been pretty busy with following people lately in the tri-state area. If you listen to their frequencies you will hear alot of chatter on tails,also the US Marshalls have been following alot of people too from the sound of the chatter.

I'd love to know what freqs the feds are on, too. Bonus if there's an online feed. As for helis you've seen, they might be on the Newark Airport Tower freq or one of the heli ops.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
What FBI frequencies do you listen to? I always thought they were encrypted.

Go to the NY database and then to NY County,then go to Federal frequencies. Program all the frequencies in there ,FBI,DEA Etc. and you will hear alot. They are trunked but most are in the clear,not all but most. They have the option of going encrypted if needed from their radios is what was said on a board some time back,but most are in the clear. As for unmarked aircraft the only ones that I know of are the feds who use those. All other aircraft are required to have markings as per the FAA. Even the NYPD has markings,numbers on their helicopter Aviation 23 which is their surveillance helicopter.

Mike
Retired FDNY/EMSC
Haz-Tac

Last edited:

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I knew Newark would get another helo. They had sold the last one because of the price/hour price tag. But now they have a new, no BS, Police Director. They been having shootings almost every other night and the stolen cars are way up again.

blinkthing

Just saw one a few minutes ago hovering above the Central Ave & Norfolk area near the universities. I don't have a good camera on me at the moment, so I couldn't grab the tail number to help identify the heli. Looks like a two-seater, in all black.

EDIT: Okay, the black one flying around is probably not the official Newark PD heli N12NP, an OH-58 given to them by the DoD around 2006.
Unless they for some reason decided to paint it black, I'm in agreement with everyone else here that this is probably some other agency operating the chopper in question.

For anyone seeking more info on N12NP, it was based in Morristown as of 2007ish. There's a great thread over here about it.

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Saw a almost full black chopper in the air today over Elizabeth. Gold tail number. Only part of the tail number I could make out was at the end...characters were HS, which if I remember right, should make it Homeland Security.

AC2OY

Sometimes I see the helo you guys are talking about when I'm at work. Could never be able to read the markings on it because it's bait to far away assumed it was military patrolling Newark airport and surrounding areas after 911.

IAMTFA

NPD has a HELO that is not in operation anymore (ABLE-1), now NPD has an agreement with Essex County Prosecutors Office to use theirs. NPD staffs it, County maintains it. The County helicopter is the black one w/ no markings.

Status
Not open for further replies.