newb having trouble programming bct15x

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennyblack1

Premium Subscriber
hi all, this is my first and possibly only post here, i recently purchaced the bct15x not knowing anything about scanning whatsoever and soon found out that programming for me is a real bear.
i am not computer savy at all either unfortunately...although i am an amazing autobody and paint guru!
superb mechnical skills...but when it comes to electronics...just a blithering retard!

ive purchaced the unit and found my way here, i've purchaced the membership and went to the freescan site. geez, i cant even get past the first page!

i've read bunches of posts here and my conclusion is that everybody here is very tech knowledgeable...
seems like everyone here has a working understanding about radio technologies and the like.

i understand ZERO! very frustrated with this mess and just wanted to scan my local emegency freqs...

sounded easy.

in all honesty, should i give up and sell this radio here on the classified section, because i'm thinking that i will never fiqure this out!

and to think i wanted to get into hamms.....i just got my a** kicked by a scanner!

if anyone here is patient enough to walk me through this process i will give it my best shot. but i will have a million questions.

i will most likely stick with what i know...wrenching and color matching!

like anything else, if you understand it, it is a breeze and you may not understand why others have such difficulty. the way this appears to me,...i bet i could build my own rocket and get to the moon before i ever understand this little gem of a radio

lennyblack1

Premium Subscriber
going to classifieds

well, i've decided tonight that this is too much for me and need assistance posting an ad to your classified section...i cant seem to find a way to post the ad.
i've read several posts here for a few months and know that i am way out of my league here!
even if i paid to have help programming i dont believe that i could operate the scanner anyways.

In iraq i operated and programmed singars, Imbtrs, BFT's and even dagrs....but with the help of hands on training of coarse. so i would like to offer a deal on it to someone here.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Noooooo!!!! Don't do it LOL!

If you tell me what city you want to scan I can put together a FreeSCAN file together for you and email it to you. I have a BCT15X too, great scanner! I would hate to see you abandon the hobby so early in the game.

PM me.

Thanks,
John

lennyblack1

Premium Subscriber
tried to list it

couldnt even get that right! i'll give it about a week then i'm taking it out to the range and using it to sight in my ar15. i will then offer to send it to anyone here for free and would love nothing more than see it posted about humorously! This is a great site that unfortunately i found AFTER buying my scanner.
really wish i would have done my research...and found RR! Thanks anyhow guys...there will be no future in this for me!

P.S, how do you like your uniden,...one lump or three!!!??? i really am looking forward to it.

MrsRodgers

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to my BCT15X also and a few weeks ago was in your frame of mind. This site and the people that post on here are awesome. No question is too dumb for them and they love helping newbies to learn and enjoy their pastime. Take the time and all the frustrations that go with it to learn. I still have things I want to learn but these people listened and helped me finally to get this thing scanning....and I'm loving it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When you get one of these DMA radios, the first thing to do is to resist the temptation to just jump in. You must start reading, and understanding, a whole slew of concepts, some of which are/were new to the scanning world at the time.

There's a wiki article that is set up for folks just like you - with lots of links (always blue) to articles and even to the Easier to Read manuals, which are found at the bottom of.......

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

My advice is to try to get 1 system going at a time - trying to do more is just as likely to frustrate you. Take your time and ALWAYS backup your current configuration before trying something new

Mike

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Three hours and you are ready to give up? I'm sure you didn't learn bodywork and painting in three hours.

If you want to ship your scanner to me including return postage I can program it for you for free.

Blackink

I'm still learning about this stuff myself but when I punch in Kootenai County, which is where Rathdrum is located, I see that most of the area is on Project 25 Phase I, APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive.

Looks to me like they're going or have gone digital? The BCT15x can't get digital signals.

Somebody with more experience can offer some guidance here and trump me, which I hope is the case.
Otherwise, you'll be heading towards the classified section of this Web site.....

I've been wrong before and I may be wrong now.....

greggk

Premium Subscriber
It's great that others offer to help you. But allowing someone else to program it for you, without you being there to learn it, will not help your cause. All you will have is a programmed scanner that you still do not understand.

My Uniden 996T took several weeks of research and reading as I was programming it myself..manually. In a month's time I could both do it all and understand it.

When my Pro 106 came along, it was definitely software to program it; again it took several weeks to catch on, but when I did it was very simple.

Your scanner is not APCO 25 material, and you will need a more advanced scanner if that is the case. Uniden is coming out with two new scanners shortly that will decode most of the new technology, such as Phase I and Phase II. I would bet that these will BE for the serious enthusiast as they are not cheap.

If you want to enjoy the scanner and understand it at the same time, do some research and try things out for yourself. Most things worth doing in this world are not easy. If you make a mistake you just start over; your scanner will not self destruct. And in the end you will have a really great scanner that does not intimidate you.

Greg

Last edited:

lennyblack1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Everyone...

and i do apologize! i kinda had a meltdown last night over this. i really appreciate the offers of help, but my fear was exactly as the previous post said...if i dont do it myself then i may not learn the systems.
back in the early 70's my dad had this old realistic scanner that i could program in with the ol' series of ones and zeros....it was a hokey old hunk but fun nevertheless, i havent had a scanner in my hands since those days.
i'm 47 now and learning new things is a true task, not impossible, but throw in quitting beer two weeks ago, trying to finance my second home, dealing with some serious gulf war syndrome garbage....and just being a big damn baby over it....i got FLUSTERED!!!!

and no, it was more than three hours....i've been goofing with this for 3-4 months. but hey,....i can pick up the fm radio stations!!! woo hoo!

i would like to learn,...i came to the right place obviously. i will look into the need for different equipment if my area does not support the bct. i will sell it and find what i need, ...but this time,..I'll ASK HERE FIRST!!!!

I went out today and punched holes in paper...feel a little better!

i will retrace what has been said in this thread and try to take it one step at a time...You guys are Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.