Newb Question: Need Handheld Recommendations for LAPD Hollywood Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

HW90038

Hi I never used a scanner before, and I'm really not that great with these kinds of things. But I need a handheld scanner for work. I'm located in the Hollywood area, so I would need a scanner that would pick up this area's frequency.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what handheld I should get? Thanks.

BigEvil

You can get great deals on used Uniden 396XTs right now (since they just released their newer version the BCD436HP). These radios used to sell for $450 and you should be able to get a pretty good condition one for under $300.

HRO can sell it and program it for you for the LAPD, and the Hollywood division will come in loud and clear even with the stock antenna.

Radio_Lady

If you're going to need to monitor Hollywood division for your job, besides their dispatch frequency 507.2125 you'll want to also listen to Hollywood's tactical/fallback frequency, 506.600 for car-to-car traffic. It's referred to as "simplex," which is somewhat of a misnomer, but don't worry about that.

I suggest you also program in the two West Bureau tactical frequencies, although if you're focusing on Hwd you may want to leave them locked out unless you hear messages about units switching to them. They are
Ch 40 - West Bureau Tac 1 - 506.8125
Ch 41 - West Bureau Tac 2 - 484.4125

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
HW90038
Welcome to the world of scanning. BigEvil makes a great recommendation. You can get a good deal now on the BCD396 XT. Would be perfect for your monitoring needs. I know the price of $300 to $400 may sound a little high just for a scanner to listen to the LAPD, but as you may be aware, the LAPD uses P25 digital audio for broadcasting. This requires a P25 digital capable scanner, and the above scanner is excellent for this purpose.

Best regards
Steve (AA6IO)

BigEvil

If you're going to need to monitor Hollywood division for your job, besides their dispatch frequency 507.2125 you'll want to also listen to Hollywood's tactical/fallback frequency, 506.600 for car-to-car traffic. It's referred to as "simplex," which is somewhat of a misnomer, but don't worry about that.

I suggest you also program in the two West Bureau tactical frequencies, although if you're focusing on Hwd you may want to leave them locked out unless you hear messages about units switching to them. They are
Ch 40 - West Bureau Tac 1 - 506.8125
Ch 41 - West Bureau Tac 2 - 484.4125

and don't forget West Traffic, its not very fun when they're only running plates but sometime's you'll catch other stuff on those frequencies. I leave em locked out usually but they're good to have programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.