Newb Question Regarding Live Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I am able to listen to feeds from here on my Blackberry via Scanner Radio(and Love it btw exceptional program). I like to listen to my hometown broadcast which says it is " Police, Fire and EMS" for my county. I have noticed that I can hear Central talking to an officer over in one part of the county, and then when they stop talking I will hear some other dispatcher and officer talking but mid conversation like the first one overrode the second. I have been listening to the police and something interesting is going on and then all of a sudden I will hear the salt truck guys come on taking their time and talking real slow. Are they all sharing one channel or are their multiple channels that are all being sent to me for the county, anyone know how that works? thanks.

cnmsales

It sounds like the feed provider has one setup as a priority channel over the other. So if they key up on the priority channel it automatically switches to the priority channel.

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
It's possible it is a stereo broadcast if you hear people talking over one another. If they just get "cut off" mid sentence by another dispatcher then I would agree with the "priority" channel.

Say the "priority" channel is Fire Dispatch and a police call goes out and there is traffic on the police channel, every second or so the scanner will check the priority channel for traffic, if it hears something it switches immediately to the priority channel. I wouldn't expect the salt truck guys to be on a priority channel.

If you select your state from the map and then your county, the description might tell you what's happening on the channel. Also, you can listen to the feed on your desktop computer and select something like "WinAmp" as the player then move the balance to full left and listen and then full right and see if you get different traffic, that will help you determine if it is a stereo feed.

Anyway, whatever you come up with, let us know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.