Newb Simulcast Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I’m fairly new to the hobby but spent time in EMS so I know a (very) little about the radio systems out there. Here is my question. I’m new to New Hampshire and have a Whistler TRX-1 coming. I don’t know much about what kinds of systems the emergency services use here. Is simulcast a problem here? I’m in the lakes region in the middle part of the state. I’m just hoping that the systems used here won’t outsmart the TRX too badly. Thanks! Looking forward to learning the hobby.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I think you will find that most fire and ambulance traffic in your area is on New Hampshire - Regional Fire Communications Centers Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Lakes Regions channels and the Carroll County channels (154.175 main) and the Wolfeboro FD channel. 159.90 is probably the only channel in your area that might have a (synchronized) simulcast problem - maybe 154.175 also. But those are 'analog' simulcast channels not 'digital' simulcast channels - and apparently scanners handle analog simulcast channels better than digital simulcast channels.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Transmitting the same signal on multiple frequencies is multicast.

Simulcast is multiple transmitters broadcasting the same thing on the same frequency simultaneously.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all, got the Whistler today. All is working well. In fact I can listen to Carroll, Belknap and Strafford counties from my house with no external antenna.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Glad it is working okay. There are multiple agencies in New Hampshire running conventional simulcast on single frequencies. They don't affect scanners at all and can be entered as normal. You may hear an occasional sound of interference on the analog systems where the sites are not quite perfectly synced. But it's rare.

John M
Penacook, NH

mainetrunk

Glad you didn't have to spend another 2--300 dollars.. With my external antennas, I hear 75% of New Hampshire. I'm also right on the state line.. 140 feet above sea level

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Glad you didn't have to spend another 2--300 dollars.. With my external antennas, I hear 75% of New Hampshire. I'm also right on the state line.. 140 feet above sea level

I think with an external antenna I’d pick up most of the state. As it is I drove up a hill with an overlook and got Merrimack and Grafton counties clear as day. On top of Carroll, Belknap and Strafford. I don’t have anything else programmed in so I’d be curious how much more of the state I’ll get with just the handheld up on a hill pretty impressive.

mainetrunk

If you really wanna stretch out, try the nearest Massachusetts towns.. I also get 1/2 of mass.... But, mt aggamenticus blocks my Maine signals, coast wise.. Wait til winter, lakes region will be very active.. Any questions, just ask..

Status
Not open for further replies.