Newbe with a pro96

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbflex

Hello, I just purchased a pro96 and joined the fourm. I wondered what if anything I should do for mods. IE, Antena, Charger, Software ect. I am a green horn a this.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
best investment is WIN96 software from www.starrsoft.com and you will need the cable to connect to pc. Info on cable at starrsoft. if you pick up the stations that you want to hear with the antenna that came with it then don't change. if you are having difficulity with 800 systems, then radio shack has an 800 MHz antenna that works good. A good MAHA charger to charge the batteries outside the scanner is best.

califzeph

Definitely get a copy of Win96 software by Don Starr. Get the computer hook up cable. Subscribe to this website so Win96 will program your scanner for you.
If you like to listen to 800mhz, get one of the antennas that's tuned for it. For in-car use, get an outside antenna (BIG improvement). I use the Radio Shack glass-mount mobile antenna.
Some place online sells leather cases. Sorry, don't remember who.
Have fun!

gbflex

Thanks for the infomation. I look forward to all the weath of information this site offers!

LarrySC

I use the R/S 9v 300ma charger but get Entergizer 2500 maH batteries at Wal*Mart camera dept. Also Kmart and other stores have these. They hold a charge longer than the "green" batts at R/S. I get 2- 8 hour play times per charge.

VintageJon

All of the above + do the 1.3-upgrade when you get your programing cable.

If you are into building antennas, a 1/4-wave or 3/4-wave ground plane is an improvement over the 800 MHz RS antenna here. Can send pics and specs if you email me at
muse@texas.net

Welcome to the Forum, and the Pro96 Family!
-Jon

gbflex

Thanks guys, I cant wait to get my unit. I have been listening on the internet live feeds. I can not get my local area though. Genesse county is not available. Anyone know if there is a site that offers this?

Status
Not open for further replies.