Newbee Need Help With Morris County Trunked Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

08GMC4X4

Why do I receive zones 1&2 fine but, zones 3&4 I don't receive at all. Also, where are the radio towers located in Morris County for the Morris County trunked network. I suspect on morris turnpike and, another on Sussex turnpike and Dover Chester Rd area. I also suspect they probably use Netcong's NJSP location.

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
Reading the entire rr.com page for the county will help you here.

Morris County Trunking System, Morris County, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

They do NOT transmit from the JCP&L tower at Dover-Chester and Sussex, the closest location to there is the county tower on West Hanover Ave.

If you are in the center of the county, you will hear zones 1 and 2 since it is an "overlap" area.

08GMC4X4

Is the West Hanover Ave. Tower the one across from Gates of Heavens? Also, do you have a image of the over lap and what does IR mean for zones 3&4? What is the signifignace of having 4 zones why don't they just have one tower with all systems on that trunked network? do i need to have all 4 zones programmed in my bcd 396xt

RocketNJ

You should program the zone closest to where you live and not the other zones, unless you travel around the county. I've found the Pro-106 works fine for seamless roaming but the 396XT you need to lockout all but the closest zone.

The $64,000 question is - what town do you live in? That would determine which zone.

The reason for zones 3 & 4 IR sites is to fill in coverage for the corners of the county. Depending on the talkgroup in use and where the users on that talkgroup are, you might not hear all conversations on a particular zone.

08GMC4X4

I live in Madison but, I am through out Morris County on a daily basis mostly out near Mendam old 24 and Mt Olive.

RocketNJ

Look at the database on this site for info on the Morris system.

Zone Transmitter Site Locations:
Zone 1 - Randolph, Dover, Netcong, & Morristown
Zone 2 - Boonton, Kinnelon, & Jefferson
Zone 3 - Washington Twp.
Zone 4 - Chatham

If you are using a Uniden scanner use Zone 1. If you have a R/S Pro106 or GRE PSR500 you can program all the frequencies in. THe RS and GRE scanners scan for control channel differently.

You only want to scan the closest zone on Uniden scanners to minimize delays while scanning and possible missed conversations.

08GMC4X4

Okay I got zone 1 programmed in but, I have one more question. Wouldn't it be more practicle to listen to the Chatham site because Chatham is technically closer to Madison? Also, do you know where the actual physical location of the antennas are? Do they just "piggy back" off of local municipalities tower sites?

RocketNJ

The Chatham site is actually in Long Hill and does not cover very far. Zone 1 will cover Madison along with Rt 24 through the Mendhams and Chester.

RocketNJ

Also the "Chatham" site is an IR site so it may not carry all the conversations, depending on which vehicles are in the area.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Repeater Site location

Where are all of Morris Counties antennas and repeater located at?

There is a Zone 1 repeater on the tower in the area of Mooney Rd / Mountain Ave in Roxbury Twp.

08GMC4X4

Thank you this is the kind of information I am looking for. I would just like to get a idea of how many repeaters and towers there are per zone. I would just like the info for personal knowledge and to be able to swith to the closest zone / tower for whatever location I am at.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Coverage

Thank you this is the kind of information I am looking for. I would just like to get a idea of how many repeaters and towers there are per zone. I would just like the info for personal knowledge and to be able to swith to the closest zone / tower for whatever location I am at.

FYI I live im Morris County and listen to zone 1 , its coverage is good i dont even switch to the other zones when im mobile through out the county

RocketNJ

FYI I live im Morris County and listen to zone 1 , its coverage is good i dont even switch to the other zones when im mobile through out the county

If you look at my previous post I listed the towns for each zone where the towers are located. The only thing in that list that is incorrect is zone 1 has a firth site in Chester.

08GMC4X4

Thank you very much for ta
king the time guys, like I stated I'm a newbee and sometimes need things broken down "Barney Style".

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify

If you look at my previous post I listed the towns for each zone where the towers are located. The only thing in that list that is incorrect is zone 1 has a firth site in Chester.

The Netcong Site is actually a roxbury location, and i get coverage out side of those towns you mention,coverage for site "1" exceeds those towns in coverage "area" thats all I was saying.

RocketNJ

A good rule of thumb is south of 80 use Zone 1, north of 80 use Zone 2.

Only use zones 3 or 4 if you are in those specific areas and cannot receive zones 1 or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.