Newbi Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramadiron

I am wanting to buy a scanner for my home to listen to fire, police, Ect. I have never had one and been looking at what I need Trunking and such and I am overwelmed. I live in San Diego and I am scared to buy a scanner and get one that dosnt work. Any help with what kind I need or model type would be great. Thank you.

W2NJS

The only answer to your question/problem is to get educated on the subject so that you know enough to make the right decision. There is a ton of information on this Board about all of the aspects of scanning, as well on other similar sites. The more you allow someone else to make the decision for you the greater the risk that you'll end up with something that's not right for you. I wish I could tell you that there is an easier way to do it but I really don't believe that there is.

TAK21

Socal

I am wanting to buy a scanner for my home to listen to fire, police, Ect. I have never had one and been looking at what I need Trunking and such and I am overwelmed. I live in San Diego and I am scared to buy a scanner and get one that dosnt work. Any help with what kind I need or model type would be great. Thank you.

I have spent a lot of time in San Diego on business and I love it. I took a look at the RR database for San Diego County and wanted to help you out, but WOW; there is a lot going on there. I don't blame you for being a little confused. I hope someone with experience from the area will read this forum and step in and help you out. If not I would suggest going to the "socal" area forum and ask for some help.

San Diego Metro Area Discussion - The RadioReference.com Forums

Good luck and don't give up.

W6KRU

If you want a mobile/base scanner, I recommend a GRE PSR-600 or a Uniden 996XT. If you are looking for a portable handheld unit, then I recommend a GRE PSR-500 or a Uniden 396XT.

The difference between the GREs and Unidens is a personal preference issue. In my opinion the GREs have better audio on the digital channels. The Unidens have better memory organization and hold more channels. The GREs have better multi-site capabilities. The 396XT is smaller and more portable than the PSR-500. The PSR-500 is a bit louder than the 396XT. I have a 396XT and a PSR-500. If I could only keep one of them, it would be a tough choice.

Ramadiron

Thank you for your info! I will look at both models. As I was doing some reading someone said S.D. police would be changing what type of radios they use soon. It did not however say when it was going to happen. Does anyone know if this has happened or if they are planning on changing soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.