Newbie - BCD396XT no speaker out

Status
Not open for further replies.

niidji

Premium Subscriber
I have no sound out and brand new to all of this. Manually programmed local frequencies. Scans but no sound. Beeps when doing certain things but never stops and makes noise on a scanned channel. Loaded Freescan, download all in it then uploaded. Still no sound. Broadcastify shows activity. Were not locked out and Freescan says not locked. Played with volume and squelch. No change. Brand new scanner.

Thanks in advance for any help.

n4yek

Need information:
Where are you located?
What is the system you are trying to monitor?

Always good to have these two pieces of information when you ask for help.
:)

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
If you have a set of headphones try to listen using the headphone jack.
If you hear audio through them then you have a blown speaker, you can try on a rather slim chance the earphone contacts are touching, you can try pushing in-out several times with the headphones plug to separate the contacts.

Their are plenty of other threads on the same subject - you can use the search feature in the upper right of the page as well.
396xt speaker blown

niidji

Premium Subscriber
I get sound out from volume change and other button touches but nothing from the frequencies scanned for. Same results if a speaker or headset is plugged in. Thank you.

niidji

Premium Subscriber
Need information:
Where are you located?
What is the system you are trying to monitor?

Always good to have these two pieces of information when you ask for help.
:)
I am in northeast Minnesota Arrowhead region. Trying local police, sheriff, state patrol and more. I had seen it pause on frequencies and no sound but with broadcastify monitoring the same channels, it seems to go right by them and not stop. I am beginning to think I hit a button combination I should not have or I am programmed wrong.

I had programmed manually, did the same thing. Got a usb to serial port adapter, loaded Scanfree and programmed again. Same thing. I even removed all those states that I do not want.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

rcool101

Feed Provider
It means he pressed the volume control and it beeped which it is supposed to do

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rcool101

Feed Provider
Make sure the attenuator is off. Try a weather channel or scan them. Try a conventional freq. Or turn the squelch all the way off on a conventional channel. You should at least hear static.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

niidji

Premium Subscriber
The Hold/Function/7 has changed things. Attenuation reset helped.

I now get noise and can use the squelch to control it. I had nothing before. But lots of noise now. Still not actually hearing broadcasts.

I have two groups and I see that change back and forth as if scanning, but sits on the local pd dispatch. I do not hear any broadcast though. I apparently hit some other button combination when trying to get it to work.

Thanks again.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like something's not quite right with your programming. Have you checked out the Easier to Read manual for your radio?

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

As has been suggested, try scanning the NOAA weather channels, or better yet, program all of them into your scanner by hand and see what happens. Use the Easier to Read manual to help you get them entered correctly. Another possibility is, if you're way out in the boonies you may not be able to pick up enough signal with the stock antenna. You mentioned the Minnesota Arrowhead region, but that could be any of several different counties. Without knowing specifically what you're trying to monitor we can only be of limited help. It's possible what you're trying to monitor can't be with that radio model.

niidji

Premium Subscriber
Mostly in Hibbing. Scanning local pd, county sheriff and state patrol. Signal strength should not be a problem. Weather from Duluth is working great. Setting so far seem all the same as in:

Frequency - 155.4150
Audio Type - All
Number Tag - (blank)
Modulation - Normal
Attenuator - Off
Priority - Off
Alert - (Tone Off, Color Off)
Lockout - Unlocked
Volume Offset - 0

I noticed on the radioreference frequencies page that some channels are just FM and some say FMN for mode. This BCD396XT has NFM but not FMN, are these the same?

Thank you.

kma371

QRT
Upload your freescan file here so we can look at your programming. Might be something in your settings.

niidji

Premium Subscriber
BCD 396XT .996 file in zip

See the attached.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Bev's BCD 396XT Scanner Main.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 34

kma371

QRT
Hmm. didnt see anything that stood out. what are your volume and squelch levels set at? set squelch around 2.

niidji

Premium Subscriber
Squelch has been 1 or two and the volume at 8. This is quite loud on the weather channel.

kma371

QRT
The only other thing I can think of is maybe you just aren't close enough to monitor those particular agencies or you need an outside antenna in order to do so.

If you can hear the weather broadcasts fine, it doesn't seem to be a radio issue.

niidji

Premium Subscriber
Only 2-3 miles from city tower. I am baffled. New and baffled. At least I have weather now.

niidji

Premium Subscriber
Thanks a lot for trying and your time. It is appreciated.

larry

Status
Not open for further replies.