Newbie BCD436HP User - Needs Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

fassstback65

Hi Folks,

I picked up a new BCD436HP so that I can monitor my local PD and Fire. I set the zip code, updated the firmware and I thought I set the range for 5 miles but I still don't seem to be getting my local city (Alameda, CA 94501). Note that Alameda City is located within Alameda County. Any tips or tricks that I can try? Many thanks for the advice!!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Did you update the database? Database updates are NOT the same as firmware.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You have to update the database, not just the firmware. There have been a lot of changes made in that area, and the database that ships with the scanner is a few years old.

I_am_Alpha1

Check what "services" are active. Since you are using zip code based programming, it looks at what service you want--i.e., fire, police, business, etc. If police and fire are not checked, you won't hear them. Another issue is that the system in question is "simulcast"--read up on that and issues it brings to bear...first check your services. If all else, try self programming.

GeekNJ

@fassstback65 - you still need any info?

Start by connecting your scanner, have it go into USB Mass Storage and launch the Sentinel program on Windows.If you did anything on the scanner you dont want to lose, select Scanner / Read from scanner. Then in the menu Update / Master Database.

Click Edit menu / Profile and will display a lot of the settings. On the Scan Selection tab make sure Monitor Full Database is checked. On the Services Type tab check all the options you want to monitor and uncheck anything you don't. You can adjust this on the scanner afterwords. On the Location Settings tab enter your zip code and enter 0 for Range. 0 means anything that you should be able to hear based on the other services and radius of their coverage you will be active frequencies. Close the profile settings window.

Now click the Scanner menu and Write to Scanner and make sure Force Write Full Database is checked.

When it completes, Close Sentinel and save when prompted. After Sentinel closes, Eject the scanner from the Windows USB tool icon.

Hopefully that gets you the most up to date info and scans what you want. After that, the next step is understanding and using Favorite Lists,

fassstback65

You guys are all AWESOME- thank you! Sorry for the delayed response as I wasn't getting notifications. I will try the suggestions and let you know. THANKS AGAIN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.