Newbie Buying a Scanner - Edgewood

Status
Not open for further replies.

franko48

It has been difficult trying to get info from the local police departments from Edgewood to Santa Fe as to what type system they are using (FM, DIGITAL etc.) Glad I found this web site from the people at Uniden. I had heard a couple of years ago that Edgewood and Santa Fe county may be going to digital but non of the people I talked to had any information this morning. I guess it has to do with funds and they are all in the dark. I guess they will stay with the FM analog system they are on even though one guy at the Santa Fe Regional Emergency Communications Center told me they were on VHS which I have to say I am not familiar with except for videos. Anyone feel to correct me but I think he was wrong. I was told the city of Santa Fe was on digital broadcast but I am not in that area and figure the rest of Santa Fe county is on FM analog broadcast frequencies. I received several frequencies through Uniden for some areas of New Mexico and not very many are digital. Maybe two or three at the most. I am considering a Uniden Bearcat BCT-15X and was trying to find out if it would work for me since I am about 8 miles north of Edgewood. To me it looks like it will work. If anyone has any information they would like to suggest or advise me on I would appreciate it very much. I am just getting into police scanners and would appreciate any information anyone has to offer. Thank you.
1633119459868.png

ChrisABQ

Hey Franko,

This is the frequency info for your area and SF county: Santa Fe County, New Mexico (NM) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

SF county will go digital in the future. The scanner you have pictured is a good one (I have 2) but is not capable of digital when it goes there.
A BCD996P2 would most likely be your best choice, it's a bit more expensive but would handle the digital modes SF county would be using. It will also handle the new statewide P25 700/800 Mhz system that is in place for you to hear NMSP and Bernalillo County. Good price for this would be about $300 to $330. Best bet is to check the classifieds on this site. Classifieds Brand new about $370.

franko48

Hey Franko,

This is the frequency info for your area and SF county: Santa Fe County, New Mexico (NM) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

SF county will go digital in the future. The scanner you have pictured is a good one (I have 2) but is not capable of digital when it goes there.
A BCD996P2 would most likely be your best choice, it's a bit more expensive but would handle the digital modes SF county would be using. It will also handle the new statewide P25 700/800 Mhz system that is in place for you to hear NMSP and Bernalillo County. Good price for this would be about $300 to $330. Best bet is to check the classifieds on this site. Classifieds Brand new about $370.
Thank you very much for the information ChirsABQ. That is excellent information and something I will consider. Do you have any idea when they may be going digital? No one I have talked to has any idea about that taking place any time soon. Also, can you explain to me what the TYPE means next to FREQUENCY like the (RM, BM, M)? As far as the TONE numbers are those just assigned to the specific radio frequency ? Thank you.

Last edited:

ChrisABQ

No idea on timing, but city and county are supposedly going to be on the same system.

The type (RM, BM,M) does not matter when programming. Only output frequencies need to be programmed as they are from repeaters. The tones are PL tones that are assigned to each channel, it allows limited separation of transmissions, if other systems nearby are using the same frequency.

Here is a link to how to program the Uniden BCT15X using free software call Freescan. There are ton's of videos on youtube for any scanner you may purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.