Newbie can not get P25 WISCOM to work on BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpetzrick

I'm from southern Wisconsin. I just got a used BCD396XT, I installed FreeSCAN. I loaded frequencies from RR and I get some single frequency sites but no trunked sites or specifically WISCOM. Is there anyone in Beloit or surrounding area who can help me set up my scanner.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Are you using software to program it? That's the easiest way, then import from RR database (requires subscription..)

The harder way...
Create a site with the freqs from the Beloit site (or the one closest)
then create a group with the talkgroups you wish to monitor..

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Are you able to upload your freescan programming file for someone to look over?

jpetzrick

Attached here is the freescan file I created.

Attachments

• JDP_BCD396X_ Copy.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 9

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Rename this to .996, I included the Beloit site, and input the bandplan.

Attachments

• RockCounty.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 9

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Get an error when I try to extract.. No bueno..
There's an extra space between BCD396X and copy in the name of the zipped file. The zipped file is actually named JDP_BCD396X_ Copy.996

I extracted it with 7-Zip, then corrected the name to JDP_BCD396X_Copy.996, removing the stray space. FreeSCAN can then open it.

Here's the OP's original file, name modified. I added the Milton site in Rock County. Also, I corrected the system type. When FreeSCAN imports information from the website, it sets the system type as "Mot Type II/P25".

The 396XT should, instead, use the system type "P25 Standard (Digital XT)". Change that in the drop down type menu at the system level, and that will update the sites.
I'm from southern Wisconsin. I just got a used BCD396XT, I installed FreeSCAN. I loaded frequencies from RR and I get some single frequency sites but no trunked sites or specifically WISCOM. Is there anyone in Beloit or surrounding area who can help me set up my scanner.
Take the file n9mxq provided, & change the file extention from *.txt to *.996.

For the file I attached, unzip it the open with FreeSCAN.

See if either n9mxq's file, or the one I attached, works. Both should unless you have some sort of interference degrading your reception.

Attachments

• JDP_BCD396X.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 3

jpetzrick

The first file was a zipx and I renamed it to zip so it would upload, I guess that doesn't work.. This time I made sure it was a zip. You can see the P25 (1)-WISCOM system that doesn't seem to work. Everything below that seems to work. I don't have a subscription to RR yet so I just cut and pasted. It seemed to wok fine but I guess something is wrong. If you can import everthing in WISCOM, Rock County WI and Winnebago County Illinois then I can just lock out what I don't want. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• JDP_BCD396X_ Copy.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 7

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The first file was a zipx and I renamed it to zip so it would upload, I guess that doesn't work.. This time I made sure it was a zip. You can see the P25 (1)-WISCOM system that doesn't seem to work. Everything below that seems to work. I don't have a subscription to RR yet so I just cut and pasted. It seemed to wok fine but I guess something is wrong. If you can import everthing in WISCOM, Rock County WI and Winnebago County Illinois then I can just lock out what I don't want. Thank you in advance.
Look back at my answer in Post 7. The problem is that you have an extra space in the name, which is confusing Windows when trying to extract the file.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Winnebago in Illinois is pretty much all encrypted.. So you won't hear much. I did import all of Rock county that came up in the import screen in my file.

swman

Hey Jim,

Did you ever get this figured out to your satisfaction ? If not I can help you as I have my own way of doing things with my BCD396XT (and BCD996XT) for Rock County and WISCOM. You know who I'am so please contact me via email or a phone call is OK too (still listed in the phone book). Just enter my full name on google for my web site and email contact info given here.

Dave in Janesville

Status
Not open for further replies.