newbie confused in cabot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbyte

Hey guys, first poster here, and i havent received my bc898t yet in the mail, (scheduled to arrive tomorrow). My main question is this: Did i get the wrong type of scanner to pick up police/fire/ems/state pd? i live in Lonoke County, barely east of Cabot. i had no idea scanners had become so advanced, i was used to using my dad's old bearcat 20 years ago and listening to whatever, but now it seems with all the digital converts, and different trunked systems, you have to really know what your gonna listen to before you buy a scanner.

what am i going to be able to hear with this 898? i dont guess i'll be able to listen to state pd cause they broadcast digital right? and i keep reading about this AWIN and in this state its a P25 type, and this scanner doesnt show to pick that up, but i guess im just going into an info overload. im dreading programing this scanner cause i know its gonna be painful, im gonna try and use ARC898 software. Im a Network Administrator so working with pc's are my business, but these fancy dancy scanners are kinda complicated to me at first glance.

edit: mistyped about AWIN P25 standard.

Last edited:

Highpockets

Dogbyte said:
Hey guys, first poster here, and i havent received my bc898t yet in the mail, (scheduled to arrive tomorrow). My main question is this: Did i get the wrong type of scanner to pick up police/fire/ems/state pd? i live in Lonoke County, barely east of Cabot. i had no idea scanners had become so advanced, i was used to using my dad's old bearcat 20 years ago and listening to whatever, but now it seems with all the digital converts, and different trunked systems, you have to really know what your gonna listen to before you buy a scanner.

what am i going to be able to hear with this 898? i dont guess i'll be able to listen to state pd cause they broadcast digital right? and i keep reading about this AWIN and in this state its a P25 type, and this scanner doesnt show to pick that up, but i guess im just going into an info overload. im dreading programing this scanner cause i know its gonna be painful, im gonna try and use ARC898 software. Im a Network Administrator so working with pc's are my business, but these fancy dancy scanners are kinda complicated to me at first glance.

edit: mistyped about AWIN P25 standard.

The analog stuff you get, but not AWIN

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=150

Dogbyte

Highpockets said:

i read in a post after searching this forum for "cabot", that they all went over to AWIN radios, so im out of luck on that i guess? i guess i can still listen to Lonoke county pd. i see on the list that cabot pd using regular analog frequencies, but i didnt know if that was outdated, after reading the post about them going to AWIN radios.

Highpockets

Dogbyte said:
i read in a post after searching this forum for "cabot", that they all went over to AWIN radios, so im out of luck on that i guess? i guess i can still listen to Lonoke county pd. i see on the list that cabot pd using regular analog frequencies, but i didnt know if that was outdated, after reading the post about them going to AWIN radios.

I'm sure you find out soon, your in the right forum, someone will post some info about what's happening in your area. Good luck, enjoy you new scanner!!

Dogbyte

thanks for answering, i hope someone from my area can shed some light on the subject. i dont know if i can afford a scanner that can tackle project 25 stuff. $200 bucks was my threshold. and i dont want a handheld =\

Dogbyte

whats the next cheapest base scanner up from a 898 that can listen to AWIN and analog? the BC796D? or BCD996T? i cant hardly find a price on the 796.

Dogbyte

dangit i was so excited about getting a scanner, now im gettin bummed out and i havent even gotten the damn thing in the mail yet, LOL. looks like Lonoke County is half/half on P25 now too.

i aint got the dough to spend on one of those. i might be sellin a new 898 on here in the new few weeks.

Highpockets

Dogbyte said:
dangit i was so excited about getting a scanner, now im gettin bummed out and i havent even gotten the damn thing in the mail yet, LOL. looks like Lonoke County is half/half on P25 now too.

i aint got the dough to spend on one of those. i might be sellin a new 898 on here in the new few weeks.

You can always look in the for sale forum here sometimes you'll find what your looking for and allot cheaper, or maybe a swap with a little money added to make up the difference in price. No harm looking!

Dogbyte

just got my 898 in the mail, after i plug in the analog frequencies off this site i guess i will know whether or not lonoke county and cabot use awin or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.