newbie considering RCI 2990 purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuscaroradave

This is my first post as a newbie. Years ago I had an old Teaberry Stalker 20 and enjoyed talking on it and am considering getting another radio. A guy I know has a used RCI 2990 for sale,supposedly in perfect working order. As a totally inexperienced onlooker I just wanted to get an idea of what the forum members here think of these units. Are there any notorious problems with these radios that I should be looking for or asking about before I go have a look at this radio. The seller is claiming a wattage output of 150 - 180 watts. 10 meter radio covering 26 - 30 Mhz. Does this all sound right for this unit?

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
If you are a Ham get an used ICOM 718 for the same price as the 2990, more bands for the buck. I use a 2980WX on 10 meters with a D-104. PEP on SSB is 20 Watts but I also have a Yaesu with 100 Watts for 10 12 15 17 20 etc. The 2980 drifts until it gets warm and is limited to 10 meters. I use it mostly for local 10 meter rag chewing.

This is my first post as a newbie. Years ago I had an old Teaberry Stalker 20 and enjoyed talking on it and am considering getting another radio. A guy I know has a used RCI 2990 for sale,supposedly in perfect working order. As a totally inexperienced onlooker I just wanted to get an idea of what the forum members here think of these units. Are there any notorious problems with these radios that I should be looking for or asking about before I go have a look at this radio. The seller is claiming a wattage output of 150 - 180 watts. 10 meter radio covering 26 - 30 Mhz. Does this all sound right for this unit?

tuscaroradave

Thank you guys for the replies.

After reading around some more I learned some of the differences between 10 meter and 11 meter operation. I realize that I may have posted this in the wrong forum section. While I am interested in reading on about 10 meter usage, currently my primary intent is to use it as a CB base station as while using a friend's radio the other night I was surprised to hear that a lot of the same local CB base station operators are still out there. I'm wanting to pick this unit up as the start of a new hobby. Back in the days of operating my old Teaberry, I didn't have the benefit of the internet or discussion forums like this one so while primarily using this radio as a CB, I certainly intend to read on about how one obtains a ham operator's license and the benefits of operating in the 10 meter band.

As a hobby, I am not against the idea of picking up a radio in the future to better suit me in using the 10 meter band. A question that I would have however is whether a different type of antenna would be needed for operating in the 10 meter band as opposed to operating in the CB band? I am limited in my antenna choices here where I live as the property management is opposed to the erection of any type of towers for mounting antennas on. I intend on experimenting with a dipole antenna setup to be somewhat stealthy about it. While they don't want people erecting antennas, the rules here aren't heavily enforced so I am willing to push the envelope just a bit.

Again, thanks for the replies and have a happy and safe new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.