HP-2: Newbie Favorite's List Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj_sutton

Hi all! I just purchased the HP-2 and while some features are extremely user friendly, others are incredibly cryptic. Not sure if my problem has more to do with Uniden's design or my (mis)understanding of trunked systems. I read Uniden's manual in its entirety plus the WAY more helpful "Easier to Read" version at marksscanners.com and still have a nagging question/problem with the Favorite's List. I built a very small list using the scanner itself (not the Sentinel software which i've yet to dive into) and even though I only saved 4 channels to it, when I try to monitor it I get the warning: "Many channels are selected. These will take a long time to scan, etc, etc." What am i doing wrong? Does it have anything to do with the fact that the 4 channels I've chosen are part of a massive trunked system (this one: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643) because it seems to me that what's happening is that it's scanning that ENTIRE system instead of the mere 4 channels of it I've selected. I even have the range set to only 5 miles and even when i limited it to 1 mile I got the same warning! Thanks in advance for any and all help!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First of all, Use Sentinel to program the scanner. Programming a trunked system from the front panel is far more tedious, and you are way more likely to screw something up.

From Sentinel, you can easily create a Favorite List with nearby stuff by selecting a Range value, the service types you want to hear, and your location, then using the Edit | Add Channels On Range menu. It will look through the database and copy everything near the location you specify into a Favorite List. You can then go through that list and Avoid things you aren't interested in.

You also need to turn on Location Control for your Favorite List so that only things nearby are scanned. If you copy a large complex system into a Favorite List and Location Control is off,the scanneer will scan every site in the system even if they are way too far away for you to receive. Enabling Location Control ensures that only nearby things are scanned.

jj_sutton

Location Control! How did I miss that? That did the trick. Thank you so much for the helpful and detailed response! I will certainly take the time to acquaint myself with Sentinel from this point on. Thanks again, my friend!

rwier

" ... take the time to acquaint myself with Sentinel ... "

Remember two things in Sentinel and it will become super easy very quickly.

1) Always try to "APPEND TO FAVORITE LIST" from the DB.

2) Then "EDIT FAVORITE LISTS" (gold star with little pencil icon), to make all sorts of changes to the FL.

The Sentinel software is available on a Uniden website, and many have made satisfactory FLs while waiting for their new scanners to arrive.

jj_sutton

wow! the sentinel software is way easier to use then i expected from it's oblique interface. thanks so much for your help and tips guys! i'm up and running in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.