Newbie from Greensboro here

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmcpickup66

Hello everyone i'm looking to get me a scanner and was wondering whats preferred for a newbie handheld scanner? I'm still learning things that they can do and it seems like I need a pretty nice one to enjoy all the great things. What models do yall suggest? I'm looking to program them myself so dont need a preprogrammed one. Thanks for the help. Cant wait to be able to understand more things about scanners.

joesheets

Welcome to the scanner sickness! It is very contagious! Since you are in NC, in which most of the larger public safety agencies use digital trunked systems including VIPER, I would limit my search to those scanners that can receive those systems. I use both Uniden 336XT (handheld portable) and 996XT (base). GRE/Realistic make comparable units that receive digital systems. They also will be able to monitor some of the other non-digital systems still in use throughout the state (Chatham Co for example). Both these choices are very programmable and can be controlled by a computer. Do some searches on the forums and get a feel for the feature nuances between the two brands. (It's like Chevy and Ford!). GL and let us know if you have any more questions.
Joe

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR! It's always nice to have new blood here :)

As the previous poster said, I would recommend a Uniden 396xt, as I had found my other brands didn't perform as well there. (Though, there could have been extenuating circumstances)

I know you said you weren't looking for "Preprogrammed" scanners, but take a look at the Homepatrol and PSR800. They will provide you instant gratification, and allow for programming. (kind of the best of both worlds)

And as Joe said, we're always happy to help if you run into any problems!

Have a great night :)

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
The only options that would work are:
Handheld----Base model
Radio Shack
Pro-96----------Pro2096
Pro-106--------Pro197
Pro-18

GRECOM
GRE-500------GRE-600
GRE/PSR-800

Uniden
BC296----------BC796
BC396T--------BC996T
BC396XT------BC996XT
HOMEPATROL-1

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Great responses in this thread so far. :)
I noticed we also have this same topic by gmcpickup66 in the
new user forum. To help keep responses in one place I am gonna
lock this one and let the conversation continue in the other one.
Follow me to respond to this thread---->
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.