Newbie from Illinois (Chicago Western Burbs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireCaptJohn

Premium Subscriber
I do apologize if I am asking questions that may have been asked somewhere before. I searched and read until my eyes are crossed and can't seem to figure this out.

I am a retired firefighter from Wheaton, Il. During my 30 year career I knew our scanner freq 460.4250, and programmed an old scanner so my wife could have it. However, the department has since been issued new Motorola Minitor pagers and now the radio system (ducomm ch 3 west) has now gone to Motorola's Starcom 21 system which I believe is digital.

So it's time for a new scanner and would like to buy a used Minitor Pager for myself. So used to having that pager attached to me side, I feel naked without it!

So, I am interested in buying a new portable scanner and the pager. I have the tones for the pager, if I find one I can have it programmed. Can you help me (a novice in programming) select a good but no too expensive scanner that will have the capabilities of scanning the starcom21 system along with others so I am not restricted as to what to listen to if I elect to scan other communities including ISP ISPERN, etc.

In the case to where I have to program via software, I have a Mac. Ouch! That may not be good. I will probably have to look for an old PC to use, correct? So any suggestions on a brand and model scanner would be greatly be appreciated. Also, where i can buy a used pager from a reputable seller.

Thank you kindly,
John

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Where your located and the easiest scanner to program I would purchase the Uniden 325P2 -H/H or if you want mobile/base the 996P2...My personal preference to purchase them is "The Ham Station " in Indiana, great people....You have mostly digital around you and some may be changing to Phase II soon....Both scanners do P2, You can choose the Uniden 436-H/H or 536-mobile/base but are harder to pgm.....Just my opinion....

FireCaptJohn

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Ronin for your advice.

As far as the Motorola Minitor Pager, I was told today the Wheaton tone out is actually QC2 445.7, 389.0.

FireCaptJohn

Premium Subscriber
I think the pager tone out numbers are incorrect. So I am back to square one! with the pager. I did notice however that the scanner mentioned before does have fire tones on it. So, If I cant find the correct tone freqs for the pager, I will have to use the scanner for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.