Newbie from Memphis, TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I am a new member and new to HAM. I actually do not have my HAM yet. I have been studying and trying to find time to take the class and test. Its hard with a newborn and a rotating schedule to find the time. I am going to try to get it done in March/April but for now I have been studying and taking practice tests online. I am a LEO here in Memphis. Any tips.advise/help would be great! I have learned a decent amount online but more knowledge is always better. Can't wait to get on the air!

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Well I'm surprised to see you haven't received any responses yet.

Let me be the first to welcome you to RR :) It's always nice to have new blood around here.

Secondly, Thank you for your service to the community. Though I don't live there, work brings me down there often.

I don't want to randomly give you tips blindly... Do you have any specific questions we could help you with? I know if I can't answer it, other will have the knowledge you seek.

Have a great day... And again welcome!

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I know the basic use of radios obviously. I have slight knowledge on the technical side but it is limited. I have an idea of how the antennas work as far as lengths for getting better tranmission and reception. I haven't leared the true formulas to get things fine tuned for optimal range yet though. I under stand the principal behind it but obviously since I have not done it I don't have any applied use of it. I guess for now since I am not using it right now tips on basic setup/use would be all I really need right now. I have looked at a few radios. So far I am leaning towards Kenwood but that could just be because I am some what familure with Kenwood equipment. I plan to get a mobil and handheld radio.

I am looking at the Kenwood TM-D710A for a mobil and Kenwood TH-F6A or TH-D72A for a handheld. I have heard not to go with the dual band yet and to get a cheaper one to learn on but my thought is why buy cheap and just have to upgrade later when I can learn on one that I will have a while.

Thanks!

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Well if you are familiar with Kenwoods, I'd go with a kenwood. It will cut out any learning curve, causing less hair loss/frustration

As for the D710A I've only heard good thing about it, so I can't say anything against it, and believe it would serve you well. If you would like to read reviews from actual owners I'd recommend this page. Kenwood TM-D710A Product Reviews

I don't know anyone with the 72 so I'm hesitant to offer any opinions, but it did score highly in reviews. TH-D72A Reviews Kenwood TH-D72 Product Reviews

It sounds to me as you are familiar enough with radios that your "why buy cheap and just have to upgrade later when I can learn on one that I will have a while." quote is solid thinking. If you had much less understanding/were a complete Newb. then I would tell you to go cheap.

As for getting to know antennas better I would just spend some time in the Antenna forum reading and getting a bit more comfortable. (I'm a little weak there too, so I don't want to steer you wrong LOL!)

Status
Not open for further replies.