Newbie from Quebec, need help programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babyface

Hi,

Been reading up on the forum for the last few months and decided to join. Heard of RR through the french Infoscan site in Quebec. I posted for help here since it was eastern Canada, but if it's the wrong place please forgive me.
I have been listening to analogic radios for the last 4 years and have just upgraded to a Pro-96 to go digital.
I am rushing quite a bit to try to program Hydro Quebec's digital system and now i am bogged. I am stuck in the tables and how to put them on Win96 to transfer it to the scanner. I used Pro96com which was recommended by fellow hobbyists to get the tables.

I would like to know if anyone out there from Quebec or any states along it's border have tried to program Hydro Quebec in a Pro-96. I can probably receive the Eastern Townships area so if anyone has any files they can send, it would be appreciated. I would use them as examples to learn on and try to program my area.

Thanks.

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Been reading up on the forum for the last few months and decided to join. Heard of RR through the french Infoscan site in Quebec. I posted for help here since it was eastern Canada, but if it's the wrong place please forgive me.
I have been listening to analogic radios for the last 4 years and have just upgraded to a Pro-96 to go digital.
I am rushing quite a bit to try to program Hydro Quebec's digital system and now i am bogged. I am stuck in the tables and how to put them on Win96 to transfer it to the scanner. I used Pro96com which was recommended by fellow hobbyists to get the tables.

I would like to know if anyone out there from Quebec or any states along it's border have tried to program Hydro Quebec in a Pro-96. I can probably receive the Eastern Townships area so if anyone has any files they can send, it would be appreciated. I would use them as examples to learn on and try to program my area.

Thanks.

Hi Babyface, we're a few from "La belle province" out here but you might have better chance at http://www.infoscan.urgence.qc.ca ... and going thru the search engine there. You'll find multiple post about H-Q on both of the old and new system. You need to register for viewing and posting, but it's free - or maybe you already are ... (scanman29 or gilles50 ???). If you are, WebScan and VE2ZPS are your better choice for info.

I don't mean to send people away from that site that I greatly appreciate, I just want him to get the best info he can find to help him.

Don't worry, the Infoscan forum is returning the favor by linking numerous post of this forum as reference, probably because it will always be THE Radioreference forum ;) and both are complementary sites.

Last edited:

Babyface

slypx,
i looked for help there and the information is great and well organised. But my radio is rare here since radioshack closed and not many people in Quebec have Pro-96's. And if they do, most of them do not have the cable to go further into the programming. I read that a lot of RR members just across the border are listening to the Quebec frequencies.

Hydro is the only digital system in my area untill the RENIR system is up and completely running. I tried programming the hydro but did'nt hear anything while some people i know with BC396's heard conversations.
Supposevily to program hydro into my scanner i have to do it with the pc because i cannot do it manually on the scanner.
So that's why i hope to find some Pro-96 owners on RR who have programmed Hydro Quebec on their radios and can help me.

DaveH

Hydro is the only digital system in my area untill the RENIR system is up and completely running. I tried programming the hydro but did'nt hear anything while some people i know with BC396's heard conversations.
Supposevily to program hydro into my scanner i have to do it with the pc because i cannot do it manually on the scanner.
So that's why i hope to find some Pro-96 owners on RR who have programmed Hydro Quebec on their radios and can help me.

If you are listening to the "old" system, all you need to do is program one
base/offset/step (142.005/380/0.005) unless you listen to Lachute, which uses
all three ranges. For the first case you don't even need software; for the second
case, you must, because the PRO-96 cannot accept more than one range from
the keyboard.

Dave

P.S. I don't own a PRO-96 myself.

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
slypx,
i looked for help there and the information is great and well organised. But my radio is rare here since radioshack closed and not many people in Quebec have Pro-96's. And if they do, most of them do not have the cable to go further into the programming. I read that a lot of RR members just across the border are listening to the Quebec frequencies.

I really understand your need, I was just trying to help you get the best source of info but I understrand that there are more Pro-96 owners here than in Quebec where we can't buy this scanner. Since I'm a Uniden scanner owner, I can't help you further ...

Good luck with your quest and get some pratices because RENIR is around the corner !!

Babyface

Thanks guys, it's appreciated.

If i could start over i would'nt of bought the Pro-96 just for the point that there is barely no one in my area that can help me with the programming. It's a good radio, nice sound, options and i find the reception is good. But next time i'm going with a Uniden because they are easier to work with and if i need help there are lots of people who can answer my questions and there are Uniden shops close by.

I invested in having a programming cable shipped to me so i'll keep my 96 for a while so i have my money's worth. In the meantime i'll brainstorm to program it.

Babyface

After hours of brainstorming i tried out some different ways to program the system close by and it finally worked. I can hear them now.

I have one question. Many of you seem to be able to hear certain systems of Hydro Quebec from across the border or from Ontario.
I am from Drummondville and i cannot hear the control channel on the Mont-Bellevue site in Sherbrooke. I know the site well and the tower is high on the top of a small mountain so the signal must be carried far. I'm about 55km straight line from there. Are some of you quite far from the sites or do some of you hear more than one?

I am plugged to a small magnet mount cell type antenna on the eaves trough of my home. I hear the provincial police from Sherbrooke, Farnham and Montreal on a good day.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
Hi Babyface, we're a few from "La belle province" out here but you might have better chance at http://www.infoscan.urgence.qc.ca ... and going thru the search engine there. You'll find multiple post about H-Q on both of the old and new system. You need to register for viewing and posting, but it's free - or maybe you already are ... (scanman29 or gilles50 ???). If you are, WebScan and VE2ZPS are your better choice for info.

I don't mean to send people away from that site that I greatly appreciate, I just want him to get the best info he can find to help him.

Don't worry, the Infoscan forum is returning the favor by linking numerous post of this forum as reference, probably because it will always be THE Radioreference forum ;) and both are complementary sites.

Slypx,
Thank you so much for these kind words; it is extremely appreciated.

Babyface,
Please don't worry; we've got many members using this scanner (Pro-96) and there is definately someone who will be able to assist you and this, with great pleasure. Hope to see you there ... Personnaly I don't have one (I am "sold" to Uniden) BUT I had the opportunity to program a few of them.

I wish to reiterate what my colleague Slypx has mentionned, the reference to the InfoScan Forum should not constitute a problem since we are referring members to Radioreference on an ongoing basis.

Last edited:

Babyface

Slypx and VE2ZPS,
It's been a few years that i am a member of Infoscan under the nickname {Scanman29}, that is where i learned about Radioreference's existance by reading posts of other people talking of here.

My post on Infoscan is picking up dust for a while and it surely shows that there is not many Infoscan members with Pro-96's.

Well there is no better way than craming our minds ourselves to learn how to program a scanner, it stays longer in the head. I have gotten quite far into programming Hydro Quebec in my area and i have heard conversations between maintenance crews. It might still not be perfect and i work the same hours as the crews so can't test much in the evenings unless i have a day off to listen to them during daytime.

At least what i achieved can be shared to anyone else who needs help programming their Pro-96 in Quebec.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Babyface.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.