newbie getting back into scanning.with a couple ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cswrench

Hello, I have literlly dug my pro-29 out of a box and started toying with it again. First off with all the new trunking systems out is my pro-29 obsolete? Or is a trunking scanner more of a luxury?
Lastly. I have moved to Brownsburg In hendricks county. I can not find any Brownsburg PD on any freq lists. Are they on the mecca system with indy?
Thanks for all the input!

jbstahr

cswrench said:
Hello, I have literlly dug my pro-29 out of a box and started toying with it again. First off with all the new trunking systems out is my pro-29 obsolete? Or is a trunking scanner more of a luxury?
Lastly. I have moved to Brownsburg In hendricks county. I can not find any Brownsburg PD on any freq lists. Are they on the mecca system with indy?
Thanks for all the input!

I'm not in Indiana, but from what I can see they are implementing a statewide system similar to what Ohio is doing with their "MARCS" System. If you're lucky thats a fairly rural area and not on the system yet. However, I did find a small listing for Hendricks Co:

Hendricks County Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Description
7216 1c3 D Fire Dispatch
7248 1c5 D Danville - Fire (?)
7264 1c6 D Danville Fire -
7280 1c7 D Danville Fire - (?)
7296 1c8 D Danville Police - Tactical
7312 1c9 D Danville Police - Dispatch

It's a safe bet that they will end up on the system eventually, so I'd start saving for a Trunk-Tracker. They are great and are becoming more and more of a necessity. Hope this helps, and I'm sure some people from Indy will weigh in with more info.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Hendricks County has received $668,501 in grant money to join SAFE-T. It is unknown at this time if and when this will happen. A group was formed to look into the radio situation to either join MECA or SAFE-T. They want to maintain independence, that coupled with the grant money, it looks like they will go with SAFE-T.

You can find current frequency info on Hendricks County here

Brownsburg PD/FD are expected to switch to MECA in the fall.

Your Pro-29 is obsolete in regards to the trunking. You will need a digital scanner to monitor most of SAFE-T and soon MECA as they are upgrading to digital as well in early 2005. You will need one of the following scanners:

Uniden:

BC-296D(handheld)- around $500

BC-796D(base)- around $500

Radio Shack:

Pro-96(handheld) on sale now for $429.99 with the $75 off coupon, the sale ends on 7/18 though so you better hurry.

If I were you I would take advantage of the offer going on right now for the Radio Shack pro-96, You will not find a better price. Consensus is the pro-96 is the better of the scanners for digital trunking and in my opinion it can't be topped.

Status
Not open for further replies.