Newbie having problems with DSDPlus 1.101 vs 2.28

Status
Not open for further replies.

bem1492

Greetings!

I received an RTL-SDR dongle for Christmas, and I have been enjoying playing with it. I am using SDR# x86 rev 1732 (from the AirSpy site), and it works just fine. I have been able to listen to a number of FM broadcast stations and Police/Emergency calls. I found a lot of useful information on RadioReference.com, so I decided to sign up.

Today, I decided to try out DSDplus 1.101 (public), and later in the day joined the DSDplus Fast Lane program and received version 2.28. I'm having some difficulties, and I hope someone can help.

I am running Windows 10 x64, and I have installed VB-Audio Virtual Cable; I set the output of SDR# to the virtual "cable input"; I then set SDR# onto a frequency that is sending non-voice data and modified CC.bat for both DSDplus 1.101 and 2.28 to contain
DSDPlus -i3 -o1 -fa -wsl400.2 -wss100.200 -wel0.1 -wcl0.445 -wes400.520 >>CC.log
where the "-i3" option refers to the virtual "cable output", and the "-o1" option refers to my speakers.

When I run DSDplus 1.101, I see the following windows:

It isn't decoding anything, but that's not the problem about which I'm asking; on some signals, I actually see some attempts to decode.

Here is the problem: When I stop v1.101 and run the v2.28 - which has an identical CC.bat file - I get the following windows:

Instead of listening on the "cable input", DSDplus tries to contact a local port via TCP (FMPA or some such, I assume) and fails repeatedly. Just as an experiment, I replaced the option "-i3" with several other valid values, such as "-i10" and "-i255", all with the same result. When I replaced the option with "-i256" (just beyond the acceptable range of audio input devices), it used the number (256) as the port number for the TCP connection; this also was the case for any value >256.

I am mostly certain that I am doing something wrong rather than encountering an error in DSDplus 2.28. I spent a good part of today searching the Web for solutions, but found none. I will appreciate any suggestions you can provide to get me past this roadblock.

Thanks much, and I look forward to participating (maybe even providing some answers instead of questions) on this forum!

----
Blayne

Attachments

• DSDPlus1p101.jpg
    DSDPlus1p101.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1

bem1492

While I'd like to have the problem solved, it is good to know it's not just me. Thanks, N4GEX!

I think I'll contact the developers, if nothing else, to let them know about the potential problem.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
2.28 assumes tcp operation. That can be changed with monitor only mode or changes in bat file switches. I’m struggling with other issues but got past the tcp issues.

Good luck.

bem1492

I got an answer from the developers. (They were very quick to respond.) It agrees with what you posted, KE5MC.
  1. Open SDR# to the virtual cable input, and start receiving.
  2. Open DSDPlus. of the four DSDPlus windows, only the "DSD+ Event Log" window has a menu bar; you'll use that menu bar.
  3. From the "Control" dropdown menu of that window, choose "Passive Digital Monitor", which is the first choice on my menu.
  4. Then, from the "Input" dropdown menu of that window, choose the virtual cable output".
  5. Wait a few seconds to a minute, and you should see DSDPlus quit trying to connect via TCP and use the output of SDR#.
Now on to my other problems!

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The other not mentioned fix is to use FMP(24/A/P) to tune your dongle instead of dealing with SDR# and virtual audio cables...and gain much more functionality in the process.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
And, IF you are going to use SDRSharp as your receiver, make sure you UNcheck "Filter Audio" in the Audio section. And also make sure you set an appropriate width.

4000 - NXDN48
7900 - DMR / NXDN96
9500 - P25 (non simulcast)
12500 - P25 simulcast

Those widths can vary a little, but for the most part those are good options.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.