Newbie having probs with SORCERER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy_Bottle

Hi folks. Very frustrated SWL trying to get Sorcerer running on windows 10. I had it going 3 days ago, for the first time, and the next day it won't start up correctly, or at all. Nothing changed on the PC, and I have downloaded from several sources and re installed until I'm done for. What happens is I try to run the exe as an admin, and get no main screen, just a notification in the task bar that would happen anyway had it opened correctly. Sometimes I see an error msg about unable to connect to 'something or other' soundcard, can't remember which one, but it tells me to go into what I assume is a config menu and change it. At least it did- it's not doing this tonite. I know it's not supported now, but loads of users are getting good reliable use from it. Any ideas out there what I can try? I am using an Icom PCR1500, and it makes no difference if the radio is on or off- the only time it did work, the radio was on and I was watching the spectrum on a voice signal on USB, and it seemed to be the signal it was seeing was modulated in response to audio input. All help warmly welcomed! Cheers.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There has been multiple threads on this very topic in the Utility DXers Forum reflector on Groups.io, which I highly encourage you to join. Personally speaking, it's overblown. It has a whole bunch of modes that are no longer used. Specifically what are you trying to decode? It does have a couple of modes that are useable and it certainly has folks that like it...

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's the link for the group. I've been on this for a long time, very little if any spammers here...

Mike

Billy_Bottle

Here's the link for the group. I've been on this for a long time, very little if any spammers here...

Mike
There has been multiple threads on this very topic in the Utility DXers Forum reflector on Groups.io, which I highly encourage you to join. Personally speaking, it's overblown. It has a whole bunch of modes that are no longer used. Specifically what are you trying to decode? It does have a couple of modes that are useable and it certainly has folks that like it...

Mike
Thanx, Mike. I'm off to join and read now. I haves o far stuck to common modes for the last 20 odd years, like RTTY, FAX, WEFAX, Hell, MT31, so pretty old tech. But now havng lost my job and havng time, keep thinking I should have a go at digital stuff etc. A lot has passed me by as I went into and out of SWL'ing down the years. So a lot still has the aura of 'new' all over again, which I like! Thanx for the advice mate.. Dave

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Perhaps the biggest modes out there these days (non-ham, of course) would have to be ALE (also known as MIL-STD-188-141 A/B) and the stuff from the Cubans. I have been compiling logs from the UDXF for some time; there are quite literally hundreds (sometimes more) ALE logs each month. It's a wonder anyone could keep up with them. Enigma's HM01 (uses R Habana's transmitters) is also very active. And you have HFDL, DSC , NAVTEX - there's a lot out there. Even the Russians with their numbers stuff (it can be read, but not understood - at least not yet). and I can't forget the SW Radiogram broadcasts.

If you don't get Sorcerer going, there are many other apps out there. MultiPSK, PC-ALE, PC-HFDL....and others. Mike

Billy_Bottle

Perhaps the biggest modes out there these days (non-ham, of course) would have to be ALE (also known as MIL-STD-188-141 A/B) and the stuff from the Cubans. I have been compiling logs from the UDXF for some time; there are quite literally hundreds (sometimes more) ALE logs each month. It's a wonder anyone could keep up with them. Enigma's HM01 (uses R Habana's transmitters) is also very active. And you have HFDL, DSC , NAVTEX - there's a lot out there. Even the Russians with their numbers stuff (it can be read, but not understood - at least not yet). and I can't forget the SW Radiogram broadcasts.

If you don't get Sorcerer going, there are many other apps out there. MultiPSK, PC-ALE, PC-HFDL....and others. Mike
Hi Mike. It seems to be a soundcard issue I think.When trying to open Sorcerer, I get a msg ''Dsound cannot be accessed' or similar rhubarb. Also, I can now no longer get multipsk to work, and get a soundcard error there too when trying to start it. I hadn't actually decoded anything with Multipsk, but I had the prog open many times just for a look round. Now- nothing. I have reinstalled it many times and taken out the last windows update just in case bit no luck. I am using my Icom PCR1500 audio usb enable which works with things like JVComm 32, and the like, but those other 2 progs won't play well even if the Icom is not even switched on. Yet sorcerer worked once, about a week ago. i'm baffled. I will be looking for alternatives soon but, it would be nice not to be beat, and it may help with any others in case of similar issues in the futere. Cheers! Dave

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The fact that you have it working under JVComm32 does suggest that the apps you are trying don't like something in Windows. What method did you use to get JVComm32 working? That's where I would start.

MultiPSK is a great program if you can get past having all of those blasted buttons all over the place. It too has a reflector on groups.io and Patrik (the author) is there. Don't try to fudge (rhubarb) the message. The more precise the message the better the diagnosis. Be sure to mention the Windows version (10 Home, 10 Professional, etc.). Are you using a USB soundcard? All of these details matter.

I see PC-ALE and HFDL also have mailing lists - you can find links here....

Mike

GB46

I can now no longer get multipsk to work, and get a soundcard error there too when trying to start it. I hadn't actually decoded anything with Multipsk, but I had the prog open many times just for a look round. Now- nothing. I have reinstalled it many times and taken out the last windows update just in case bit no luck.
I get a similar error from MultiPSK occasionally with my radio's line-out connected to the line-in of my laptop . The message states that the soundcard is already in use by another program. However, nothing that uses the soundcard is open except MultiPSK. Also, the laptop's built-in mike in the lid isn't live, either, because I always keep the cable plugged in to the line-in jack, which cuts off the built-in mike, since I never use it. Anyway, MultiPSK stays open at the configuration screen, so if I then click the Rx/Tx screen button at the bottom, the program opens normally and immediately starts decoding the signal. I can't find a pattern that would explain this behavior, because it only seems to happen at random.

This is with Windows 7, by the way, so there are no recent updates.

GB46

MultiPSK is a great program if you can get past having all of those blasted buttons all over the place.
Yes, it's a wonderful program, except for that messy interface. I'd much prefer having some of those functions hidden away in the menus. Better still -- at least in my case, since I'm not a ham -- would be an SWL mode option, which would hide all those transmit functions, allowing for larger message and spectrum displays.

Billy_Bottle

Hi Mike. Regards JVComm32, I just downloaded and installed it, the Icom was set to audio usb enable, and off it goes, mostly RTTY from DDK freqs. I echo the comments about Multipsk, the visual experience is eyestrain inducing! But all could be forgiven if the thing still worked for me. It did a week ago but not now. I'm finding that now I am having problems with almost any soundcard decoders I try to install, which all work fine on 2 other laptops of varying age, one Vista of all things and one XP. It's certainly a hardware thing. But what I cannot tell. The usual suspects all appear good.
FWIW, the current PC wherein the problems arose, has only on board sound, not a seperate card, and the Icom puts USB audio into it. Or at least it SHOULD, but despite being selected, no audio comes from the TV it is all connected to, and only from the Icom speaker, yet JV32 works! If I can be bothered and I can find it, I can put a 'blaster 16 in and use that. Anyone with experience of similar please chime im! Thanx folks. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.