Newbie Help in Cleveland Heights

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkessler

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I been scanning off and on for years though lately I've been just listening to civil air traffic (I'm also a pilot). I've recently moved to Cleveland Heights and thought it would be interesting to listen to the local PD. I looked up the frequency and it's something in the 39 MHz range but I seldom hear anything there so I'm wondering if it's still really active. I also noticed that the CHPD has licensed additional frequencies in the 400 MHz range. I'm looking for some guidance from others in North East Ohio on how to monitor the local PD and anything else that might be interesting up here and what kind of additional equipment will I need. Right now I only have a pro-74

Thanks in advance!

--Keith

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
Keith,

Welcome to the group here at rr.com!! :)

If you visited this page in the Radio Reference Database:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=2145

you will have noticed that the Cleveland Heights does have 39 MHz and a 453.xxxx MHz frequencies.

You have tried programming your Pro-74 with the 453.xxxx frequency, correct? In re: to additional equipment .. the Pro-74 is a robust scanner that should serve as a great starting point to help you get going. If you do not have the owners manual, you can download it here:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc62/62186.pdf

HTH's

Last edited:

kkessler

Premium Subscriber
Hi Crayon,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Thanks for your help - I entered the three frequencies for Cleveland Heights PD from the RR database and am listening now.

So I guess I don't need any of the fancy new scanners that do trunking (I really don't yet fully understand how trunking works)?

Any suggestions for "interesting" things to listen to here?

Thanks!

--Keith

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
kkessler said:
(I really don't yet fully understand how trunking works)?
Visit the link at the top of the page named "Wiki". In the RR Wiki there is all sorts of information to get yourself up to speed on the ins-n-outs of scanning.

One of the cool things about the forums is that you can ask questions on stuff you cannot get your brain wrapped around.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.