Newbie help: Parker PD and Talkgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoF350

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to this forum and radio, just getting interested in this hobby. I live in Douglas County and wanted to monitor my local police and fire frequencies. I read the primer on trunking, elsewhere in this forum, but still having some trouble getting my head wrapped around this.

If I wanted to listen to Parker PD, and my scanner does not specifically support trunking or talkgroups, does this mean I can't listen to them at all? Or, could I monitor a group of frequencies that may include Parker PD with other agencies? Also, not sure how to translate the Talkgroup codes to a given frequency (or if you can).

Is there a better tutorial or explanation somewhere on this? Thanks in advance!

04Z1V6

You can monitor the tower but you will need to deal with allot of noise and a ton of other radio traffic. What scanner do you have? You can also listen online to my feed if you want only Parker then use a player or stereo speaker and shut down the right channel. Remember, Parker also dispatches for Lone Tree.

ColoradoF350

Premium Subscriber
Thanks...

Thanks for the reply.....actually, I don't have a scanner. Just bought a ham radio (yes, I'm licensed) and it covers a pretty good frequency range.... I can pickup some public safety stuff, but most interested in the Parker frequencies. Wasn't 100% sure if a ham would be able to receive any of these talk group channels? Still in learning mode so sorry if all this seems pretty basic....

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Your ham radio may possibly tune the 800 MHz frequencies, but it probably will not decode the P25 digital audio that the system uses, and of course, it will not follow the frequencies like a true digital trunking scanner will.

Status
Not open for further replies.