• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

newbie help with cb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannaMan9

i just got a cb, and i want a fcc license
can i get a fcc license? (i hate all those operators who should be talking on a phone,or the ones that think that the channels are theirs)

i looked around and i couldn't find anything

ps

Last edited:

grogan

no license your new numbers are ( eight zero two ) not eight ( oh ) two its offical streight from the chanel master him self don't forget to add your state after your numbers.

Broadcast licensing sure has changed since I started using the CB, but that was back with the 23 channel radios too. Then the big boys came out with the 40 channel and I knew some that were running 100 watt boosters on their CB's. Me, I pretty much stayed on channel 9 because I was in law enforcement and I had an upper channel for the traffic with someone. I did use my license number too; KRP8842. Now you radio guys will recognize how far back I go. I don't do CB anymore, but have never forgotten my call letters.

reedeb

Your CB would fall under a class D license which is true about it not being required for CB use, but depending on where you're using your CB, you could still come under the rules of required "Low Power Transmitting". Here is a link to Wiki Links on that subject. Low-power broadcasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually NO. while transmitting on CB you have a time perios to do so [tho a few ignore thi rule] With CB you are transmitting and recieving NOT broadcasting as you are "supposed" to be listening to someone else NOT just keyig the mike and chatting for 1 hour or longer.

reedeb

Broadcast licensing sure has changed since I started using the CB, but that was back with the 23 channel radios too. Then the big boys came out with the 40 channel and I knew some that were running 100 watt boosters on their CB's. Me, I pretty much stayed on channel 9 because I was in law enforcement and I had an upper channel for the traffic with someone. I did use my license number too; KRP8842. Now you radio guys will recognize how far back I go. I don't do CB anymore, but have never forgotten my call letters.

Once again you are not suppose to BROADCAST with CB You can legally transmit [have a two way conversation BUT as this isn't commercial radio you can't sit there and boadcast a game like regular radio does.

reedeb

no license your new numbers are ( eight zero two ) not eight ( oh ) two its offical streight from the chanel master him self don't forget to add your state after your numbers.

Yu don't even need this just use a nickname [handle] or if you want your real name [many do] and chat with folks. The number idea came from sideband clubs using these onn sideband and unfortunatly too many numbbutts stle nthe idea and us it on AM to try to make themselves sound bigger and better then they truely are.
CB has died out quite a bit I went to ham back in the mid 90's but kept the CB around as many folks I knew were on CB and I would chitchat with them till 2 or 3 AM. [working 3rd shift had it's perks]

Once again you are not suppose to BROADCAST with CB You can legally transmit [have a two way conversation BUT as this isn't commercial radio you can't sit there and boadcast a game like regular radio does.

I think you need to read a little closer to what I wrote. I'm not posting to get an argument going about what something is called. I go back over 40 years on CB and I've been away from it for quite some time and I can only interpret what I read on the licensing for broadcasting/transmitting. I used to have to pay for my class D license, then they added numbers to them and then they went to being free, but still required. Now they're not required...I believe you.

Are the forums pretty much negative like I've seen here today? I belong to many other sites and some I have left because of trolls like I see starting here. Just curious...do I need to jump ship before we sail?

reedeb

Must be some of "US" then!

whatever-504.gif

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Since you already have a rig I imagine you're wondering how to use it. That's simple, like the advice given to new hams first listen, listen and listen some more. Once you separate sanity from insanity choose your path wisely, make up some sort of unique identifier like a "handle" no one else in the area is using and when someone asks your "20" the name of your town is quite sufficient.

The only rule is common sense, don't be an idiot and you'll do well. Just a few basics come to mind like:
Thou shalt not use illegal equipment, if you want to be "worldwide" get a ham license.
Thou shalt not talk with a fake Texas twang, your Martian accent will do nicely.
Thou shalt not use 10 codes or speak silly CB jargon, plain English is easily understood.
Thou shalt not drone on endlessly when signing off, goodbye is sufficient.
Thou shalt not say seventy threes for 73 (best regards) unless you want to invite someone like me to return with "Yeah, seventy fleas, scratch sixty nine but save one for later when you really need one."

There should be 10 but I ran out of ideas, if I think of more I'll get back to you later.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Just be yourself, act normal, don't listen to some of the people on Channel 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.