newbie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Hi their , i have just purchased a pro-2096 and am a little confused as to how to enter in P-25 freq...I am interested iin scanning the detroit metro police,ems,fire, now my question is do i need to enter all the freq for the detroit city simulcast as it has about 16 freq's with 1 control channel (red astrick) then do i need to enter the (blue astrick) as well...Or would it be better to enter in all the freq?... If i just enter the control channel,will i hear both sides of the conversation?? Or would it be easier to just enter in the talk group ID's? I was trying to read and familiarize myself as to whats here on the forum, but its not sinking in...If some guidance or teachings that would be great...

seamusg

Your scanner only needs the control channel programed in to receive traffic on a P25 system, it will get the voice channel fron the control channel data. Your other posts show your south of Detroit and may not receive the simulcast very well. The Detroit subsystem is designed to keep it's signal in Detroit. I would suggest getting WIN96 and the programing cable for your scanner, it's a lot easier to program your scanner from a computer. Also read the WIKI on trunking to better understand how it works. The short cut for programing your scanner is here:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Programming_Shortcut_pro-2096

n2mdk

If you want to program in all the frequencies you can, you only really need the control channels, do program in both the Red primary and blue secondary ones.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Moved to the RS Forum. I guess you missed the post titled "NOTICE: Scanner questions do not belong in this forum"

Please make note of Stickied posts at the top of forums before posting next time. Thanks.

N8IAA

Hi their , i have just purchased a pro-2096 and am a little confused as to how to enter in P-25 freq...I am interested iin scanning the detroit metro police,ems,fire, now my question is do i need to enter all the freq for the detroit city simulcast as it has about 16 freq's with 1 control channel (red astrick) then do i need to enter the (blue astrick) as well...Or would it be better to enter in all the freq?... If i just enter the control channel,will i hear both sides of the conversation?? Or would it be easier to just enter in the talk group ID's? I was trying to read and familiarize myself as to whats here on the forum, but its not sinking in...If some guidance or teachings that would be great...

Just the red control channel for the system that you want to monitor. Bank in MOT mode, channel with the frequency in MOT mode. Are you using software to program the scanner: Win96? If so, put in all the TGID's that you want to monitor and click the box at the top of the page that says closed. You will then hear only what you want. Familiar with the radio(I own a 96).
HTH,
Larry

n2mdk

Just the red control channel for the system that you want to monitor. Bank in MOT mode, channel with the frequency in MOT mode. Are you using software to program the scanner: Win96? If so, put in all the TGID's that you want to monitor and click the box at the top of the page that says closed. You will then hear only what you want. Familiar with the radio(I own a 96).
HTH,
Larry

If there are Blue alternate control channels you also want to program those as well, there are many systems that periodically change CC's and they might just switch to the Blue alternate ones.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
ok cool thanks guys, i have never used any program software,usually just input it manually, I hear alot of talk about this WIN96 program, is it free and where can you download it?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I have a program cable already hopefully it will work with the 2096, tried it with my BC898t and it wouldn't recognize it, says to connect to a comm port, but all i ahve is usb end on it, then the connection that goes into the scanner...should this work with the 2096?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
First thirty days are free. Download at http://www.starrsoft.com
You will need to go to RS and buy the programming cable-part# 20-047.
Larry

looking at that part from RS it is way diff then the one i have , mine is usb end but the connector to scanner is similar to a monitor hook up connection to your computer (vga port) i'll have to look around for one, we don't have a RS here in canada but its called the source now so i'll have to venture down thier

N8IAA

looking at that part from RS it is way diff then the one i have , mine is usb end but the connector to scanner is similar to a monitor hook up connection to your computer (vga port) i'll have to look around for one, we don't have a RS here in canada but its called the source now so i'll have to venture down thier

Nope, won't work with the 2096. That is the Uniden cable for programming and pc control.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.