• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Newbie here, Radius GM300 Issue!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryangreen25

I supervise a couple handfuls of passenger shuttles for a company, one of our buses has a Motorola Radius GM300 (M/N M34GMC29C3AA). When I got the bus I noticed the radio didn't work, after some investigative work, I replaced the fuses and splices and now its on. (Fantastic right?!) Only issue is now there is only one channel displayed, with no response from changing channel up or down, and when put into scan mode nothing happens. Is there a fix to this? Our other shuttles run on our channel 7 and I would need to at-least get this radio to work with the native buses. Any hope?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Cheapest thing to do is take the radio and your channel plan to a local two way dealer and have them reprogram it (if it's still legal to use).
You could reprogram it yourself but the time and expense required would be far greater than having somebody else do it.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I supervise a couple handfuls of passenger shuttles for a company, one of our buses has a Motorola Radius GM300 (M/N M34GMC29C3AA). When I got the bus I noticed the radio didn't work, after some investigative work, I replaced the fuses and splices and now its on. (Fantastic right?!) Only issue is now there is only one channel displayed, with no response from changing channel up or down, and when put into scan mode nothing happens. Is there a fix to this? Our other shuttles run on our channel 7 and I would need to at-least get this radio to work with the native buses. Any hope?
To add to what Mike mentoned, most GM300's are wideband although a few were made narrowband. Since 1/1/13, 99.9% of Part 90 licensees in VHF and UHF are required to be using narrowband gear only. Look at your FCC license and it will tell what Part the license falls under.

Based on the model number you provided, it is a wideband only radio and needs to be replaced with a narrowband compliant radio. If there are other older radios in the fleet, they have to go, too. Hopefully the license holder modified the license for narrowband

All this stuff got chewed on extensively several years ago prior to the 1/1/13 deadline.

FWIW, if there is a complaint, and your company is involved, the FCC fines for non-compliant operation start in the tens of thousands of dollars and go up from there. If the FCC license was never modified to narrowband, they will catch up with the licensee eventually.

If you need more info, just search on narrowband here on RR, especially in the Motorola section. There are dozens if threads describing in great detail what narrobanding is all about.

Get a new radio as quickly as possible.

quarterwave

I recently had a GM300 that is programmed for 5 channels, but will not come off of #1. I haven't messed with it anymore lately, but I have seen this happen on the old M216's a time or two.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The radio is a 16 channel capable 25 watt radio, so it may only be programmed for one channel. There is the possibility that the radio is on T-band even thought the model says 438-470, which in that case it can be used for now. Again your best bet if you are not set up to do repairs or programming is to take to your radio shop for investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.