WS1065: Newbie here, some thoughts on programming the WS 1065..

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_d_

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, new to this site, had looked at it for a while, joined after I rec'd the WS 1065, BIG upgrade from a 20+years old RS PRO-508 20 channel analog scanner, which honestly all I needed for years, but the Ohio SHP went digital and I live near the Ohio Turnpike, I wanted to stay up on things, also my area is beginning to go digital, so time to upgrade.

That being said, if you are thinking of buying one, and going to come home and plug it in and start receiving transmissions, not gonna happen, it takes some work to understand.
So me, being completely ignorant of how to work this scanner, thought I'd get one of the software packages and do it by my computer, or send it away to get programmed but quickly found out that costs money, more than I wanted to spend at this time, so, I did opened up the scanner manual and starting reading the manual. Twice, lol. you're not gonna understand it at all the first time.

So I then went to "Understanding the Keypad." And started pressing buttons to see what they did. IMHO, this is the best way to understand your Scanner. If you mess something up, just do a "factory reset" which erases it all and you start over.

Explore this scanner, just go through the keypad and see where the pre programmed keys take you, and then play around with it, you're not gonna break.it. After you get somewhat familiar with it try programming in some conventional objects, (frequencies) like a local Public Safety that is still analog.

If you are like me, whose eyes sometimes glaze over when I see a lot of instructions, there is nothing like see a video tutorial showing the actual button pressing to reinforce the info you've read. Here are two I found to be extremely helpful:

Both of them apply to the WS 1065, basically identical software.

So as you can see, I decided to manually program my scanner, if only to become intimately familiar with what everything does. Once I got analog programming down and have all my local analog stations programmed in, I turned to the digital which is more challenging, but doable.

In Ohio, OSHP is P25 type 1 at this time, so that simplifies things somewhat, so I have two local counties programmed in and am receiving digital transmissions now, there is much more that I have not even looked at, but for me right now its about learning all the functions that this scanner can do, and learning as I go along. In time when I am good and familiar with this unit, I will probably go and try the software, or maybe I will find I don't need it, time will tell.

In short, don't get frustrated and put in on the shelf and by all means read this as a supplement, of use it to replace factory manual, but for me, I refer back and forth. It is an invaluable reference.

Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Have fun with your new scanner, I am!

Still lots to learn.

Hope this helps another newbie like me.

big_d_

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I use Butel ARC500 Basic to program my Radio Shack Pro-197, the older brother of your scanner, and the software also works for the WS1065. ARC500 Pro adds logging. I have programmed large systems manually using the scanner menus, and I wish I hadn't. Using software is so much faster and easier. You can view all of the parameters at a glance, rather than viewing them one at a time while stepping through menus. It greatly reduces the chance for errors. What is your city and county and which agencies would you like to monitor?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
big_d_

The ability to manually program a scanner, by hand, without software, is a good skill to acquire. Especially so if you are away from home & your PC, but need to edit your programming for a correction or addition.

However, like tvengr, I recommend software for those who are new to scanners, or new to a completely different scanner than they had before. Such as upgrading from an older banks & channels scanner to a newer DMA, Object Oriented, or database radio. As Jim already noted, software lets you see just about everything at one glance, making it easier to spot & correct basic errors or omissions in programming.

This can be especially important for someone completely new to scanning. Software can get them up and scanning quickly, at least with some of their local channels to monitor. If they get stuck, someone on this site can either provide a 'starter' file, or, if they post their problem data, it can be reviewed and suggestions offered. Over time, we've seen too many people post their frustrations, and some simply throw up their hands and quit, returning the scanner before they ever get a chance to enjoy the hobby. It's advantageous to all of us, to help the hobby grow, rather than be abandoned.

big_d_

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your replies, your opinions are invaluable in learning about this scanner, I am just that guy that likes to learn as I go along, and learn the basics and then progress, as I just retired and I can just take my time, lol. I have been looking at the screen shot tutorials of the software, which are very helpful, when I feel like it makes sense, I will get the software, have been looking at the PSREdit500 , and the Butel ARC 500, have to decide if there are any advantages from one over the other. I am located in North Central Ohio, and am monitoring the cities various frequencies and the OSHP in Erie and Huron Counties, which are mainly rural counties. In Erie, on digital, the Castalia frequency I get plenty. I don't get anything off off the Berlin Heights frequency, might be out of range? Just using the supplied antenna set all the way down for the band. I do have an antenna tower so I may eventually try an external antenna.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you have ARC500, I will be able to look at your files and check them for any problems. Using software will give you a better idea of what is required to set up a system. Armed with that knowledge, it will be easier to understand exactly what you are doing in the menus.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I'll strongly second this motion! I started scanning way before there was programming software, and the very first thing I do upon acquiring any scanner is to program in a few conventional freqs and a local trunked system, by hand, just to get used to doing it. I'll then go and fully populate the scanner's program with the software.

Cheers!

The ability to manually program a scanner, by hand, without software, is a good skill to acquire. Especially so if you are away from home & your PC, but need to edit your programming for a correction or addition.

big_d_

Premium Subscriber
Update: Just wanted to say I went with the ARC500 and it took me about 8 hrs to get comfortable and figure everything out, once you get the hang of it it easy. Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.