Newbie here with opening questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMDawg

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I hail form eastern New Mexico and am very new to scanning and scanners. My experience with scanning is an inherited Radio Shack scanner I got from my father. I programmed frequencies I acquired from some friends here in town. I can listen to fire and PD in my home town (Portales) and every once in awhile our neighboring town of Clovis. The reception is not real good. I was thinking that we ( we, my wife and I, she is interested also) could do better with a new unit with an outside antenna. I have looked at several and gone through the choose a scanner page on a couple of websites. Recommended scanners have various features and price tags to go with. Now for questions...

Generically what are good features to have on a unit? I know it might sound silly but I am unsure and unknowledgeable.
What and where are good materials to read or listen to to learn more? I have done some research but I feel like I am bouncing around from one place to another.
Last question for this evening...
I would like to listen to law enforcement in Clovis. My children and grandchildren live there and I would like some information before the Facebook grapevine starts if anything bad was happening there so just maybe I can help them. What I have been able to discern is the Curry county and Clovis PD use NXDN digital. I have also gathered that these can be encrypted. I am not asking here whether it is good thing or a bad thing. That is a discussion for a different time and place. The questions I have are... how can I tell if the transmissions are encrypted? Will the NXDN add on for the scanners decrypt? These I would like to know before I buy. I don’t wish to spend a large amount of money only to find out what I bought won’t work. I realize too that they may be unencrypted right now but encrypted in the future.

So any help or advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig (NMDawg)

Ensnared

First things first. If I missed this, your radio, it means I have not fully awakened.

First of all, I looked at the RR DB and discovered that Portales looks like it is in the clear, provided the RR DB is accurate. I see no encryption being used on the RR DB for Roosevelt County.

I also see a Phase II NM DTRS Phase II trunking system. I don't see any sites in Roosevelt County or Curry County; however, I don't believe this system has been completed. The presence of "TE" means encryption is being used for that talk group (channel).

In Curry County I do see the use of NXDN. In order to hear NXDN, you will need a radio capable of such.

A Whistler-branded scanner allows for free upgrades to NXDN and DMR; however, Whistler radios don't necessarily follow the conversations in NXDN or DMR.

I don't see any signs of encryption being used for Clovis.

It would help a whole lot if you would tell me what radio you are using. Then, I might be able to send you simplified information about whatever radio you are using.

NMDawg

Thanks for your reply Ensnared. My current radio is a Radio Shack Pro-2018. This radio I inherited when my father passed in 2015. The purpose for my questions is to acquire more knowledge to make an informed decision when I purchase a new radio, and due to budget constraints this will probably be my only radio purchase for quit sometime. So I want to get what I need plus some (future proofing, even though with the rapid advancements in technology future proofing will probably be short term affair). I appreciate the info about the encryption in my area. Thanks again for help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can listen to fire and PD in my home town (Portales) and every once in awhile our neighboring town of Clovis. The reception is not real good. I was thinking that we ( we, my wife and I, she is interested also) could do better with a new unit with an outside antenna.

The biggest improvement you can make would be to add an external antenna. Get it up as high and in the clear as you safely can.

Try that first, before buying a new radio. A new radio on it's own will not necessarily fix the reception issues.

NMDawg

Hey McKenna thank you, an external antenna has always been part of the plan. I am appreciative of your input. It helps me know I am going on the right direction. As far as my current radio, I do not think it will handle anything digital. I think I might need that feature for LE in Curry county and possibly in the future in Roosevelt county. Thanks again.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey McKenna thank you, an external antenna has always been part of the plan. I am appreciative of your input. It helps me know I am going on the right direction. As far as my current radio, I do not think it will handle anything digital. I think I might need that feature for LE in Curry county and possibly in the future in Roosevelt county. Thanks again.

Sounds like Ensnared is saying you may need digital to hear some of the stuff, but local agencies may still be analog.

If you can afford both a new scanner and a good antenna system, absolutely do both. If money is a bit tight and you need to spread the costs out, go for the antenna first. Get a good antenna and mount it up as high as you can. Since most of these radio systems work by line of sight, the more your antenna can see, the better it's going to work. Use good coaxial cable and you'll likely see a huge improvement in performance.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
For Curry County, where Clovis is located), the Sheriff's Office, Clovis PD, as well as another city in the county, Texico, the database shows all three as using NXDN, which is beyond the capability of the Pro-2018. While none currently are labeled as encrypted, that could change.

The unknown factor is the statewide system, which is being constructed & expanding into other areas of the state.

Currently, the database does not show any sites for that system in Curry or Roosevelt counties, but that might come at some later date. Hopefully someone in your vicinity can share what they might know of future plans for both the statewide system, as well as your two counties of interest.

NMDawg

Gentlemen,
Thank you one and all for your knowledge and advice. I was planning on purchasing an Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 with accessories. But the radio has turned into a dishwasher. Ours has failed and needs replacing. After we recover financially from this I will again look to purchase a new radio. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.