Newbie - Homepatrol 2 Questions

Foosball

Hi, I'm looking for a scanner that;
  1. Is portable
  2. Easy for a newbie
  3. Can receive police and fire (contra costa county, CA)
  4. That I can use when I'm camping in the Sierra Mountains (CAL Fire, local police, fire)
My questions;
When I'm traveling, will I be able to put in the current zip code and receive the local calls?
Is it easy to switch to the different areas just by punching in the current zip code?
What are my odds of picking up CAL Fire in different areas of the Sierra Mountains?

If I'm camping and there is a fire in the area, it would very beneficial to hear what was going on. Overall the Homepatrol 2 looks like it may work (with my limited understanding).

Thank you in-advance for you responses.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
For the zip code function to work while travelling, you will need an outboard GPS puck receiver and interface cable! That is while actually in a vehicle...if you are stopped for the night, camping or otherwise you can just punch in the zip, and double check that the service types you want to hear are enable. Be advised that it will take another antenna than the one that is provided...a good multi band with an SMA connector and usually a right angle adapter so the antenna will stick up and not out.
You would be wise to go to the database and look around at the systems in your county. If it has a T as the mode, the HP2 is not the best in receiving that mode...if it has n e or E that means it is encrypted and nothing is able to monitor that.
While the HP2 is still an available product from Uniden there has not been a firmware update in many a year. They have moved onto the 325P2/436Hp and the SDS100 for their newer handheld units. The 436 and SDS100 also have the zip code function.
To guarantee that any scanner would hear what you want wherever you are is not possible. The closest transmitter may not be in range...you may have mountains blocking your receiver from the transmitted signal...many, many things to consider. You should probably post this same message in the California group asking specific questions to folks that might have already been down the road and have more specific advise.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi, I'm looking for a scanner that;
  1. Is portable
  2. Easy for a newbie
  3. Can receive police and fire (contra costa county, CA)
  4. That I can use when I'm camping in the Sierra Mountains (CAL Fire, local police, fire)
My questions;
When I'm traveling, will I be able to put in the current zip code and receive the local calls?
Is it easy to switch to the different areas just by punching in the current zip code?
What are my odds of picking up CAL Fire in different areas of the Sierra Mountains?

If I'm camping and there is a fire in the area, it would very beneficial to hear what was going on. Overall the Homepatrol 2 looks like it may work (with my limited understanding).

Thank you in-advance for you responses.
I think you would be better off with the 436HP instead of an HP-2. Looking at costs on ScannerMaster, as well as Amazon, the 436HP is a little less expensive (~$10 or so).

While the HP-2 sits on a desk comfortably, it's not the ideal form factor to carry along with you. The 436HP can stand upright on a level surface, and also has a belt clip making it easier to carry. An extendable antenna would make it easier to optimize reception for CAL Fire frequencies, though it's likely to require the use of the SMA->BNC adapter that comes with the scanner.

If you want to get input on monitoring CAL Fire, and the expected range for reception, do not create a new thread. Instead, click the Report link in the lower left corner of your post, and ask that a moderator move this thread to the state forum.

Eng74

If you plan on going mobile in Contra Costa County I would look at the SDS-100 because of simulcast. Also except for CHP Law Enforcement is encrypted on the EBRCS.