newbie in crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchilds69

Premium Subscriber
bought a WS1040, dumped the trunked config from RR.com (all default values). pushed up to radio and can't get anything. no traffic at all. what am I doing wrong? no conventional objects just trunked config. I'm in Brazoria County TX. Isolated my list to one agency as a test. So many options not sure what I'm doing is right or if this unit is bad out of the box. Any help is appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have an article in our wiki that's geared to folks just getting started with scanners like this, which is a rebadged PSR-500 (so anything you read with that model number should equally apply to the 1040)

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Included here is a link to an article on how to program that radio manually, as well as the Easier to Read guide for these radios

HTH...Mike

Redneck0410

bought a WS1040, dumped the trunked config from RR.com (all default values). pushed up to radio and can't get anything. no traffic at all. what am I doing wrong? no conventional objects just trunked config. I'm in Brazoria County TX. Isolated my list to one agency as a test. So many options not sure what I'm doing is right or if this unit is bad out of the box. Any help is appreciated.

What software are you using to program your scanner? That would also help, as some of us have all three softwares installed on our computers and should be able to diagnose what is going on. Also, you may want to flag your post to be moved into the Texas forum, as someone down there surely has the same scanner family as you do and may be able to flash you a copy of their setup. Just click on the little red triangle at the top of your first post and request it to be moved to the Texas forum.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And we have user guides for ARC500 and Win500 linked at the very bottom of the article I gave earlier

Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Brazoria County is on this system:
Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) (P25) Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

While most of the agencies are using P25 Phase I (that's indicated by a D in the Mode column), there are some using Phase II, as noted by a T in the Mode column. You will not be able to monitor any Phase II traffic with the WS1040, but it will work for anything using Phase I.

Pearland is listed as Phase II, or Encrypted, so would not be scannable. The county S.O., Clue, Lake Jackson, and Manvel are mostly Phase I (trackable with your scanner), they also have one or more talkgroups listed as Phase II (T mode). There are a few scattered encrypted talkgroups (Mode E) other than Pearland, but most everything is in the clear.

As Redneck noted, many of us do have all three software packages, and so could help by looking at your file, then suggesting corrections or additions. If you want perhaps more specific help from someone in your area (I'm in Dallas, so out of range of your systems of interest), then you may want to have yuor post moved to the Texas forum. You can do that by clicking on the red bordered triangle in the upper right corner of your post, to report it and ask that it be moved.

mchilds69

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all who have replied. I have used both PSREdit and Win500 to program it. however it dumps down from RR.com is how it was uploaded into the scanner. the bin files I used are attached...

Attachments

• newbieconfig.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 13

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all who have replied. I have used both PSREdit and Win500 to program it. however it dumps down from RR.com is how it was uploaded into the scanner. the bin files I used are attached...
When I try to open that file, 7Zip gives me an error message that the zip file is empty.

mchilds69

Premium Subscriber
new file

apologies. try this one. I did find that I started getting some responses by switching to the P25 import after reading the other post suggesting the phase II. Worked for a while, now nothing again.. still not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• APDP25Scanner_THISWORKS.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 12

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
apologies. try this one. I did find that I started getting some responses by switching to the P25 import after reading the other post suggesting the phase II. Worked for a while, now nothing again.. still not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I'll take a look this evening, after I get off work.

Status
Not open for further replies.