Newbie in Eastern Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipe25

I'm new to digital scanners. Have had many analog ones never a digital one. Looking for help on what kind to buy. I was looking @ psr500 or 800. If any one has a different type I should lool at lmk. I live in Hastings County. Any help would be appreciated

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I like the digital sound quality of my GRE for Fleetnet and my 396XT is very close.

Try and read up about the differences in programming the GRE models and the Uniden models. It is vastly different. Neither is what you would call hard to program with software but a very different when navigating the keyboard.

snipe25

ok thanks for the input. not sure if the homepatrol @ 130$ more is worth not having the hassles of programming of the gre psr 500 or the 800 or if it is pretty straightforward once u get started programming

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
Just north of Trenton...... PM me if you need any help with anything, i have a HP1 and a 396T, two 996T's and just bought a BC125AT this past weekend......all are good units and easy to use.
Gary

snipe25

Thanks for everyones input. I'm goona bite the bullet spend the extra money and get the HP1. Hopefully its the right choice

VE3RADIO

Yes it is a good choice but once you get in to the hobby you will outgrow it fast, the "Best" in my opinion are the 996XT and 396XT. Since you are in Belleville consider buying from Toronto Kris, he is in the east end of Toronto.. I am sure he would meet you in Pickering.. his prices are the best.

snipe25

Ok, time will tell and if I need a different one in the future I will keep those in mind. Toronto Kris is good but I'm sure there is more to it than that, lol does he have more to it than that or is that what I google. I'm new to this forum so sorry if there is a place where I can find all this info

VE3RADIO

Ok, time will tell and if I need a different one in the future I will keep those in mind. Toronto Kris is good but I'm sure there is more to it than that, lol does he have more to it than that or is that what I google. I'm new to this forum so sorry if there is a place where I can find all this info

Not sure I understand what your trying to say.. Toronto Kris is just a guy on here who sells scanners... his prices are usually cheaper than Durham Radio or Radio World and his radios come brand new with warranty.

snipe25

I have a question with the homepatrol. Do I need to do upgrade as soon as I start up or can I listen to for a bit and then go back to do update? Thanks

mciupa

You can listen to it straight out of the box. If you want a current version of the database, you can get the latest release every Monday after 1pm EST.

You can read up on the Extreme features and decide whether they are beneficial to you are not as there will be an additional ~ $99 charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.