NEWBIE IN NEED OF SOME HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaga2921

I just got a WHISTLER 1040, I manually programmed in my frequencies, using the manual option, conventional channels. The scanner scans through the channels but we hear nothing or just squelch. not sure what the issues is

I followed a youtube step by step and all seems work except we get nothing audiable.

Also I have downloaded the program to download to my scanner, but am clueless how do to this as well

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Some info about where you're from & your agency(ies) of interest would help us help you. Perhaps they moved to a different system or became encrypted?

The scanner scans through the channels but we hear nothing or just squelch. not sure what the issues is
Your squelch isn't turned down all the way is it? Maybe it's data noise digital emissions. Again, info about who you're trying to listen to would help narrow it down

Last edited:

Gaga2921

Some info about where you're from & your agency(ies) of interest would help us help you. Perhaps they moved to a different system or became encrypted?

Your squelch isn't turned down all the way is it? Maybe it's data noise digital emissions. Again, info about who you're trying to listen to would help narrow it down
I am in Northern California and trying to listen to my local law enforcement. Sheriff, local police and the local Cal Fire.
No my squelch is not all the was down, I only hear squelch sounds if I have the squelch between all the way down to a quarter of the way down it is like that on any channel, if I turned it just passed no squelch sound we get absolutely no sound what so ever, if I leave it to where we hear squelch sounds it stays stuck on that channel.

cjwb801

I just got a WHISTLER 1040, I manually programmed in my frequencies, using the manual option, conventional channels. The scanner scans through the channels but we hear nothing or just squelch. not sure what the issues is

I followed a youtube step by step and all seems work except we get nothing audiable.

Also I have downloaded the program to download to my scanner, but am clueless how do to this as well
I have the same issues as well with the WS 1065. is there an easier set of instructions?

rhodester

I am in Northern California and trying to listen to my local law enforcement. Sheriff, local police and the local Cal Fire.
No my squelch is not all the was down, I only hear squelch sounds if I have the squelch between all the way down to a quarter of the way down it is like that on any channel, if I turned it just passed no squelch sound we get absolutely no sound what so ever, if I leave it to where we hear squelch sounds it stays stuck on that channel.
I just got a 1040 myself and notice the same thing I went further into the conventional menu and the default for the sub audible tone was search I changed it to none and it's solved the problem Hope this helps you

Gaga2921

Also wanted to add the scanner screen shows the letter G about the S in Scanning, not sure why or if that is suppose to be there.
I thought this would be simple, program in the frequency's and listen, but I guess not.

Gaga2921

I just got a 1040 myself and notice the same thing I went further into the conventional menu and the default for the sub audible tone was search I changed it to none and it's solved the problem Hope this helps you
Where did find the sub audible tone, I do not see that when I go through the menu

Gaga2921

Also wanted to add the scanner screen shows the letter G about the S in Scanning, not sure why or if that is suppose to be there.
I thought this would be simple, program in the frequency's and listen, but I guess not.
above the S not about the S.

Gaga2921

You changed the squelch mode to none? I dont see a sub audible under the squelch mode option, but I can change it to none.

Gaga2921

Changing it to None didnt help, it just scans through the channels and does not stop, I can only get it to stop on a channel when I turn the squelch to 1/4 of the way down to all the way down then it sticks on that channel with squelch noises, other wise no sounds what so ever from the scanner. I have had it manually sit on a channel for most the afternoon and nothing with the squelch on or off. I am at a loss

rhodester

are you sure that your county is still using conventional frequencies or have they shifted to something digital check on your counties listing here on the RR database and look all the way down at the bottom to look for trunk systems

Gaga2921

are you sure that your county is still using conventional frequencies or have they shifted to something digital check on your counties listing here on the RR database and look all the way down at the bottom to look for trunk systems
I don't see anything listed for trunk in my county for the channels I am trying to access. I also have the audio boost on. Still nothing.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
OP informed me via PM they're from Gridley, Butte County, CA. I'm seeing a trunked system here with various sheriff talkgroups and sites are simulcast. There are also analog channels here though not being from the area I'm not sure if they're still in use. The OP wouldn't be able to monitor the Butte County TRS without a scanner that tracks P25 Phase-II, which the Whistler 1040 does NOT. They'd need one of the below scanners. Preferably a Uniden SDS100 or 200 to properly deal with simulcast distortion which notoriously locks up Whistler scanners

1598232984413.png

Gridley's PD and Fire (as last reported to the DB) are a mixture of analog & P25. If programmed correctly and the reported info hasn't changed I wouldn't anticipate any issues receiving these with a Whistler 1040
1598233209713.png

I'm also seeing a thread on the California forum here about a future statewide interop system being built, possibly near complete. Perhaps they'll eventually migrate here?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.