Newbie in Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedmc

Hello all,

I am somewhat new to the modern scanning system. I have worked with the low end scanners before, but am not very familier with trunking systems and digital scanning.

I would like to scan the Richmond area. I am guessing that I would need a Digital scanner in order to pick up most Police, Fire, and EMS.

Any suggestions about beginning this endeavor? Appropriate scanners? Helpful hints?

Thank you very much!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll let the Richmond folks recommend the scanners - but insofar as the trunking goes, it's an important concept to understand. Float your mouse over the Wiki in the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master logo, and select Trunking at the end of the pulldown. There are 2 links (always blue) in the overview section - the Trunking basics and the tutorial article (which is in PDF format). Concentrate on reading and understanding these, and you should have enough to understand the basics.

73 Mike

jehm1212

The four big Metro localities require digital scanners. Richmond, Henrico, and Chesterfield all operate on a digital-only Motorola system for all public safety and government agencies. Hanover, while still analog, is switching to a digital system in two months.

As far as the database goes, it's about as accurate as you're going to find on the net. Happy scanning!

shumadine

I second the Radio Shack Pro 106 handheld, or its corresponding base station, the Pro 197. You can pick up all the Richmond area digital stations and pick up the STARS system used by the State Police and other state agencies.

Plus, if you get one of those models and get the Starrsoft win500 scanning software, many of us could email a file that you could upload to your scanner and get you up and running in no time. That's how I got started.

Hey guys....sorry to thread jack...also new to the richmond area. I came from Lynchburg where we used all EDACS systems. The RR database has Richmond as a Motorola type II system right now. Just programmed it in my PRO-95 and nothiong is working. I assume either 1) Theyre not using the Mot II system anymore or 2) I need to go grab my digital scanner (BCD996T). Any help?

trainman111

You need to grab your digital scanner. The only TG's that are analog are the FD's FRAP TG's, which I'm sure you don't want to listen to =)

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I second the RS Pro-106/197 or their GRE twins the PSR-500/600. Once you get it I am sure there are quite a few ppl here that are willing to send you a Win500 file (or others if they use other programming software). Since you are new that would help greatly to get you started then you could play around with it more after that. Really the only way to get a grasp on the whole trunking thing is to play around with the scanner/software and learn how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.