Newbie in SanAntonio/Boerne looking for scanner recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttkoestner

Hello, I wondered if a few of the regulars on the forum can recommend a digital scanner for the SA/Boerne area?? I've had many scanners in the Analog era but have not owned a scanner in the last 10 years or so. I've always liked Uniden. Probably a mobile unit, something easy, plug and play. Looking to monitor Kendall county and DPS. Not sure if I could pick up SA from my residence north of Boerne. I would be mainly inside on the stock antenna. Looking for something that won't be obsolete in a few years. Thanks, Tom

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi Tom, welcome to the RR forums!
Well for starters, it appears as if San Antonio Law Enforcement, Fire & EMS operates on this system. You would need a scanner able to monitor Provoice radio traffic. The Uniden models mentioned in the Provoice link I provided can do it, but it's a paid upgrade which must be purchased from Uniden in addition to buying the radio. If you get lucky you can find a second hand scanner at auction with the Provoice upgrade already installed. The classifieds section here is a good place to look

Kendall County is P25 Phase-II, Boerne PD & Fire operate here. As long as the sites aren't simulcast (doesn't look like they are) then a 436hp or 325p2 should be fine to use

Last edited:

ttkoestner

Thank you for the welcome and the links. I'm not sure that I could even receive San Antonio police from my location (about 30 miles north of SA). But would like to receive all the county transmissions as well as the highway patrol (DPS).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the welcome and the links. I'm not sure that I could even receive San Antonio police from my location (about 30 miles north of SA). But would like to receive all the county transmissions as well as the highway patrol (DPS).
I suspect that you would be able to hear at least some, if not all, of the Bexar County traffic.. Looking at the map of sites for the San Antonio/Bexar County system, there are several sites in the northern part of Bexar County that you likely could receive.
Here's the link for the map. On the map online, you can click on one of the balloon markers and get the site identification.

Kendall County is P25 Phase-II, Boerne PD & Fire operate here. As long as the sites aren't simulcast (doesn't look like they are) then a 436hp or 325p2 should be fine to use
The LCRA system that Kendall uses is P25 Phase II capable, but the vast majority of the talkgroups are currently using Phase I. That includes all of the listed Kendall County TGIDs.

However, at some point, they may upgrade to Phase II. In any event, if you travel at all with the scanner, odds are heavy that somewhere along the line you will encounter a Phase II system.

The database scanners, such as the x36HP series, are easy to use and program, because they have all of the system information on their memory card. That makes them also easier to use when traveling, since you can just use your location, either via an attached GPS, or by changing zip codes, and the scanner will then shift to whatever shows being used in the area. While a base/mobile does have some advantages over a handheld, such as better sound since the speaker is bigger, and has a larger case to resonate in, a handheld has the advantage of being smaller, and that you can just grab & go when using mobile. Also, the portable scanners, since they use batteries (which can be rechargeables) and would keep working when power was lost, like from storm damage. The 325P2 is a nice, small, handy size, and fits in a jacket pocket. However, since it only uses two batteries, run time on batteries is shorter than the 436HP. That would not be an issue using at home, since you could use an adapter to run the scanner instead of the batteries. Of course, you can also get an adapter to use in a vehicle as well.

ttkoestner

Thanks for all the info! I will probably buy something used. Will keep and eye on the classifieds and also Ebay. Tom

ttkoestner

Hiegtx, Can you share with me the link that you used to show the radio towers?? I'm trying to find the tower locations in Kendall co. but I can't seem to find the area on Kendall co. that shows that. Thanks, Tom

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
ttkoestner he was showing the Sa/Bexar County towers on that map. Depending on where you are you may be able to receive them. I live just off of Sisterdale road less than a mile from Main street and I can receive them if I am outside. When I go inside I cannot receive any SA/Bexar towers. As for DPS, the local DPS troopers use the same system as the County when they are on duty in our County. I have the Region XI DPS system loaded in my scanner and I do not hear much on it unless I am in San Antonio.

And Welcome to the site!!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ttkoestner he was showing the Sa/Bexar County towers on that map. Depending on where you are you may be able to receive them. I live just off of Sisterdale road less than a mile from Main street and I can receive them if I am outside. When I go inside I cannot receive any SA/Bexar towers. As for DPS, the local DPS troopers use the same system as the County when they are on duty in our County. I have the Region XI DPS system loaded in my scanner and I do not hear much on it unless I am in San Antonio.

And Welcome to the site!!!
Right. I was trying to show that, while the OP may be some distance away from San Antonio itself, there are a couple of towers for Bexar/San Antonio system that are relatively close to his county (Kendall).

Hiegtx, Can you share with me the link that you used to show the radio towers?? I'm trying to find the tower locations in Kendall co. but I can't seem to find the area on Kendall co. that shows that. Thanks, Tom
For the LCRA P25 system, here is an overview of site locations:

To get to the map just above, look at the system in the database:

Now, on the far right side of the column header above the site locations. look at the link for RR Locations
That's a link that takes you to the LCRA site map in the screenshot above.

ttkoestner

Thanks for all the info. I'm still learning my way around the web site. Literally a ton of information. BTW have a Uniden 436 on order. Hope to get it by this weekend. Tom

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the info. I'm still learning my way around the web site. Literally a ton of information. BTW have a Uniden 436 on order. Hope to get it by this weekend. Tom
The 436HP is a good all-around scanner. Mine have worked well for me. In your home county, you shouldn't have a simulcast issue.

ttkoestner

I live on the east end of town. PM me or email at rattlerbb01@radioreference.com and I’ll help you get all squared away.
Thanks for the offer for help. I definitely will PM you later on in the week. Scanner should be here on Saturday. Can you tell me that on the 436 can I just input my zip code 78006 and be all set up, or do I need to manually input some freq's to get the most out of it?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the offer for help. I definitely will PM you later on in the week. Scanner should be here on Saturday. Can you tell me that on the 436 can I just input my zip code 78006 and be all set up, or do I need to manually input some freq's to get the most out of it?
Yes & no.

What you need to do, while waiting for your scanner to arrive, is first install the Sentinel software. You can do that before you have the radio on hand.
Download from here:

You will also need to install the serial driver on your pc, so that your 436HP can connect with your PC. (The driver is the same for your scanner.)

Once you install Sentinel, go ahead and update the database. You can do that by following the link under the drop-down Update menu, or by clicking on the icon under the Tools menu access:

If you are getting a new scanner, the database loaded in it, and that loaded in Sentinel when first installed, is likely a year or more out of date.
Once you update it, then you can set your location in the Sentinel Profile. That's where you can enter your zip code and range setting.
Then, when the scanner arrives, you can update the database on the scanner, then use your location and range to get started.
For how location and reange works, see:
How it Works: Location, Location, Location
Other useful links:

Sentinel User's Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

There are a number of videos on programming that you can view while waiting on the scanner.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I use the 436. It works well, but using the full database and entering the zip code will only allow you to hear what has been entered into the database. To search for new talkgroups, you will eventually want to make your own systems after you are comfortable with the scanner and software.

ttkoestner

Thanks everyone for all the links. There is so much to read. Times have changed much since the 1990's and my RS Pro-2005.

ttkoestner

ttkoestner are you all setup??
Yes pretty much. I mainly use the pre programmed RR database that comes with it though. I haven't really explored much outside of that.

I am getting Comal co. fire and EMS, Gillespie Co. Law enforcement, Shertz and Converse law enforcement, and some Blanco co. Law enforcement.. Of course receive Kendall co. loud and clear. Cannot pick up DPS though. It does get scanned.

Are the agencies I pick up similar to what you receive??

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
Yes, if you change the range on the scanner you will get closer to only hearing Kendall County. As for DPS, the troopers that work the county have the same radios as Kendall County and they check in when there shift starts. Their call numbers start with 6XXXX. If you happen to see the screen on the scanner when they are talking the radio ID's start with 501xxxxx or 500xxxxxx. I don't hear anything on the actual DPS channels unless I am near San Antonio. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.