Newbie in Woodstock, GA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msslayer312

Looking to get my first scanner. Not looking to spend a lot. Mainly Interested in police, fire, railway NOAA and public alerts. Was thinking of getting analog since they’re much more inexpensive but not sure if the police are running on digital. If they are, would I be able to pick anything up on analog? What’s the best unit for me?

N8IAA

Looking to get my first scanner. Not looking to spend a lot. Mainly Interested in police, fire, railway NOAA and public alerts. Was thinking of getting analog since they’re much more inexpensive but not sure if the police are running on digital. If they are, would I be able to pick anything up on analog? What’s the best unit for me?

Welcome.
First thing, realize that Cherokee county is moving to the Cobb county Phase II P-25 trunk system. They will have their own set of towers and frequencies. So, you will need a scanner capable of decoding Phase II. Unfortunately, the system isn't up and running yet. So no info is available.

Second thing, you don't need to go out and get the most expensive scanners out there to monitor your area. You may get lucky and they will broadcast what's on the trunk system to the old analog frequencies. Don't hold your breath.

If you're looking at a base scanner, the 996P2 will work really well. I would wait until they finish building out the system. This way you won't be buying the wrong scanner, and spending your money foolishly. Don't forget that they may encrypt most TGID's, making any scanner you purchase dead in the water.

Something else to consider is monitoring the GA DNR and GSP. They, also, use P-25 digital to dispatch out their units. You will need only basic Phase I, P25 digital scanners to monitor those agencies.

Don't rush without thinking first. (y)

I've been monitoring the north metro area since moving here 21 years ago. Much has changed for the good, and a lot can't be heard anymore. Including my home county.

Good luck in your endeavor! Feel free to ask questions.

Msslayer312

Thanks for all the info!
I’m looking into a refurbished whistler 1040. It also has the SAME technology with weather alerts. I was going to get a separate weather radio but with this feature, I may not need to. Familiar with this model?
Is it just the police moving onto the phase II? I can be ok with just hearing fire/ems

N8IAA

Won't know until the system builds out. It's in process of that as we type. You will need to check the RR database to see when the towers become active. Until then, no one knows but the techs.

The 1040 will work great on GSP/DNR and any of the analog frequencies that Cherokee county uses now.

Status
Not open for further replies.