Newbie inquiry about beep pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeachPit

Hi all, newbie to the forum and to scanners... though I'd like to think I'm catching on to things pretty well. lol I like to browse but probably won't say much after this. :lol:

What's had me stumped for the last couple weeks-- and I have tried to search, a lot, but there's so many discussions about beeps and boops that I've been unable to find anything really conclusive-- is what this beeping pattern is about.
https://youtu.be/wBnol0Bry6E

It happens frequently, I've heard it on several channels but never really on the main dispatch channel. In the past 40 minutes it's been on channel 3 (in between them talking about some 10-96 guy running through traffic) about four times. Can anyone clue me in?

Thanks!

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
That is a repeater announcing it's alive, and probably broadcasting it's call sign in morse code. On commercial and public safety systems it usually goes away when you input the correct CTCSS or DCS decode tone into your radio/scanner. However, it appears the BC 75XLT doesn't support tone decoding, so you'll have to learn to live with all those beeps.

PeachPit

I assumed that was the answer but wanted to be sure... I guess I was under the impression that I would hear it less often. Oh well, I've mostly learned to ignore it. Many thanks!!

Yes, I commented on the video. It is a repeater ID. Buisnesses and other such things use those per FCC regs to tell that the repeater is alive and well :)

Circa

That's Morse code, they usually only use Morse code when someone is talking, if it's quiet, it might actually read it out.
The FCC says radio operator need to announce their call sign every so often.
I don't know cw, so I can't tell what they're saying.

If you can translate that Morse code, you can try looking up who it is on: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Sent using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
CW ID is based on how the REPEATER is set up. During daily/weekly tests, yes, they will announce callsigns over the radio. But the CW is the machine itself ID'ing.

D

DaveNF2G

A repeater with "polite ID" will only send the Morse code when there is no voice traffic. If the identifier is interrupted, it will continue attempting to identify until it is able to complete a full transmission of its callsign. This can make it difficult to sort out what it is actually sending.

A callsign starting with T should indicate the country of origin. I don't know for sure where that would be. I think the Australian and Kiwi calls start with V or Z. But, as someone already pointed out, that T could be part of another letter (like V).

Status
Not open for further replies.