newbie looking for info

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeange

Hi,
I am dont know much about radio scanners and would like to read up more on them and I was wondering if you guys knew where I could find some info like a website or something?
I know cb radios abit because I am a truck driver but I would like to listen to different frequencies then just the cb. I am in the gatineau,qc area if you guys could maybe inform me on some of the freq and type of scanner I should buy, I would like a mobile one to put in my pick-up truck with my cb but I dont know if its legal in canada to do so? Also could I use my cb antenna for my scanner?

Alright,

Thanks alot for now

Jean

Highpockets

Hi,
I am dont know much about radio scanners and would like to read up more on them and I was wondering if you guys knew where I could find some info like a website or something?
I know cb radios abit because I am a truck driver but I would like to listen to different frequencies then just the cb. I am in the gatineau,qc area if you guys could maybe inform me on some of the freq and type of scanner I should buy, I would like a mobile one to put in my pick-up truck with my cb but I dont know if its legal in canada to do so? Also could I use my cb antenna for my scanner?

Alright,

Thanks alot for now

Jean

There is allot of info here, about things involved in scanning, look around. I hope you find what your looking for.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Main_Page

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Alright,

Thanks alot for now

Jean

Hi Jean:

This site has a great database for all things scanner.
You can use your scanner anywhere you want in canada in your car.

If you want to listen to the OPP in Ontario you are going to need a digital scanner.
There are several, off the top of my head Uniden makes about 5 digital scanners, the BCD396T, the 996 as well as older ones you may find like the BCD296, or 796.
Radio Shack makes the Pro96 and GRE makes a few digital capable scanners. Check 'em out at the following links:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/GRE_Radios
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Scanners
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Radio_Shack_Scanners

I dont know much about antennas but if you use your CB antenna you will get good reception on low band but not necessarily on higher frequencies like 400 or 800 megs.

Eric

jeange

thanks for the fast reply s ill have a look around and try and figure out whats good for me, is there a good place to buy scanners in canada like a good website or something?

Jammin_Jay

I didn't think there was any provincial statute to the scanner law that is already dictated by Industry Canada at the federal level.

jeange

thanks for the info what would be a good scanner to start with I dont fell like paying 500$ off the bat. I would like digital if possible

slicerwizard

I didn't think there was any provincial statute to the scanner law that is already dictated by Industry Canada at the federal level.
What about where the MHTA says:

no person

(a) shall use a radio receiving apparatus in a motor vehicle, whether permanently installed in the vehicle or not; or

(b) shall

(i) equip a motor vehicle with, or

(ii) operate a motor vehicle equipped with,

a radio receiving apparatus;

capable of receiving police transmissions within one or more of the radio frequency bands 150 to 174, 413 to 470 and 806 to 870 megacycles.

Jammin_Jay

Thanks for that info

Also the Ontario Highway Traffic Acts dictates.....

Section 24.14.7
1) equip any tow truck with scanning devices or possess or use any
scanner or radio capable of monitoring police, ambulance or any
other Towing Service Company’s frequency.

solicit any business at the scene of an accident or chase calls
through the use of informants, scanners, or any other means
conducive to solicitation

That must suck for tow truck drivers. But is it ever enforced?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Really wow.. ive seen trucks with like 4+ scanners in them built-in
I guess its nto enforced

Thanks for that info

Also the Ontario Highway Traffic Acts dictates.....

Section 24.14.7
1) equip any tow truck with scanning devices or possess or use any
scanner or radio capable of monitoring police, ambulance or any
other Towing Service Company’s frequency.

solicit any business at the scene of an accident or chase calls
through the use of informants, scanners, or any other means
conducive to solicitation

That must suck for tow truck drivers. But is it ever enforced?

Jammin_Jay

We all know, tow operators do it anyway. The only time i can see this act being enforced, was if the actual tow truck got into an accident, and it was proven that the operator was chasing a call on the scanner, installed in his tow truck. Other then that, anyone else have an comments on this. I know this has nothing to do with the original thread, i got off topic, but anyways.

slicerwizard

That appears to be related to some bylaw changes Halton Region made in 2005. The text looks like it was lifted out of the old OHTA back when it had a section 24.

gwtc199

It is an Ontario Law, my father worked as a tow truck driver for a couple of years in SW Ontario, quit doing it last year. He was told by several people, one was his boss, another was OPP detachment commander, that they are not to possess a scanner while in the truck, and they could not solicit business just as it says above.

VE3RADIO

It is an Ontario Law, my father worked as a tow truck driver for a couple of years in SW Ontario, quit doing it last year. He was told by several people, one was his boss, another was OPP detachment commander, that they are not to possess a scanner while in the truck, and they could not solicit business just as it says above.

Perhaps its law, but the OPP work with the tow drivers and know and expect them to have scanners. Often you will hear them broadcast "First Avaliable Tow - Highway 401 @ Dixie" or wherever... another time i heard an officer actually say over the radio... if the tow truck driver who dropped off person "X" is listening to the scanner, please call the dispatcher.. and it was NOT a departmental tow.... the tow driver had picked up some drunks and when they started to fight.. he let them out on the side of the highway.. and of course then the calls from passers by started coming in..

Jammin_Jay

Well, i am sure they wouldn't have it law, unless there was a problem with 10 tow trucks all showing up at the same scene. OPP want the accident cleared up as soon as possible. Somtimes they already have a listed of available tows that they use. It is one of those grey areas. Why section 24 was there at all, and then repealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.