Newbie Looking for new antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bjs470

Ok,
I am trying to pick up frequencies from a city that's about 10-20 miles away from my house, but am not getting clear reception from my BCD396T. I am in the suburbs near Chicago. I am looking for a cheap antenna that I can mount outside the window of my house that will improve the reception and distance of transmissions. I'm new to these forums so any advice will be great. Thanks

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
ST-2 Scantenna.... $29

Or.. If they are on 800Mhz.. I'd try a Radio Shack 800Mhz - $19. It is significantly better than the stock and portable. I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and pick up 800Mhz with that little RS800 from a good 20 miles away.

af5rn

Bjs470 said:
I am trying to pick up frequencies from a city that's about 10-20 miles away from my house, but am not getting clear reception from my BCD396T. I am in the suburbs near Chicago. I am looking for a cheap antenna that I can mount outside the window of my house that will improve the reception and distance of transmissions.
LOLZ@looking for a cheap antenna for a $500 dollar radio!

You'd be better off putting an expensive antenna on a $200 dollar radio. But yeah, the scantenna is cheap, and will be more than adequate for something that close. If you want something smaller and easier to mount, even just a cheap Rat Shack discone would do fine for that short distance. Twenty miles is nothing. Just make sure whatever you get is specifically designed for the frequency range you are listening to. Good luck!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
2 other things to mention - height is everything - there is an upper limit, of course, but generally speaking, higher is better. The other - coax. Don't use the junk 58 or 59 Ripoff Shlac,....Radio Shack sells. RG6 or 9913 is far better. Loss is the problem here - the higher in frequency you go, the cheaper coax incurs a great deal of loss, particularly if you're listening on UHF or above. And don't forget to waterproof the connections! 73 Mike

prcguy

9913 is history. LMR-400 is the same price, similar loss and it doesn't fill with water or get crushed when you ty-rap or tape it to a mast.
prcguy
ka3jjz said:
2 other things to mention - height is everything - there is an upper limit, of course, but generally speaking, higher is better. The other - coax. Don't use the junk 58 or 59 Ripoff Shlac,....Radio Shack sells. RG6 or 9913 is far better. Loss is the problem here - the higher in frequency you go, the cheaper coax incurs a great deal of loss, particularly if you're listening on UHF or above. And don't forget to waterproof the connections! 73 Mike

delta_p

Not sure what 9913 you refering too. I have few pieces of Belden 9913 2 ft jumpers I use. I could not crush it if I tried, not even driving my truck over it. And I don't believe it to be penetrable by water either. It's actually some pretty stout stuff that I can tell.

PP

Status
Not open for further replies.