Newbie looking to upgrade to P25!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jataylor11

Hey all, long time lurker. Been rocking an old school Radio Shack Pro23 for eons. I’ve been wanting to get a trunking unit forever but I just never bit the bullet. I can’t really listen to much now other than Skywarn and some local airport activity. So, with that said I want to get into a P25 scanner. I can’t spend a crazy amount so I have been looking at used Uniden radios (BCD325P2, BCD396XT, Whistler WS1040). Do I really need a Phase 2 capable unit? I’m not sure if the county plans a Phase 2 changeover from their current Phase 1 or not. Just hate to drop the coin on a Phase 1 radio then need to buy another one. I know there’s no way of knowing. I’m not sure what to do. Also, is there anything else I need to be looking for in a scanner?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey all, long time lurker. Been rocking an old school Radio Shack Pro23 for eons. I’ve been wanting to get a trunking unit forever but I just never bit the bullet. I can’t really listen to much now other than Skywarn and some local airport activity. So, with that said I want to get into a P25 scanner. I can’t spend a crazy amount so I have been looking at used Uniden radios (BCD325P2, BCD396XT, Whistler WS1040). Do I really need a Phase 2 capable unit? I’m not sure if the county plans a Phase 2 changeover from their current Phase 1 or not. Just hate to drop the coin on a Phase 1 radio then need to buy another one. I know there’s no way of knowing. I’m not sure what to do. Also, is there anything else I need to be looking for in a scanner?
I would strongly consider getting a Phase 2 capable scanner, if possible. While you may not have anything more than Phase 1 in your area at present, in my area and others, systems that were operating as Phase I are upgrading to Phase II. Also, if you travel to, or through, a major metro area, whether on business, pleasure, or visiting friends and relatives, the odds are you will encounter one or more Phase II system somewhere along the way. Also, the Phase II capable radios, in most cases, can either be upgraded to include DMR (Uniden's), or include the capability upfront (Whistler & upgraded GRE database scanners). Without a location more specific than just 'east side of Kansas', no one can check whether DMR capability should be considered.

Jataylor11

Thanks for the input guys. Main scanning area will be Johnson County, Kansas. I’ll keep an eye out for a BCD325P2 since it has DMR capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.