newbie Marine listening Texas Gulf Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHDaniel

I found the Frequencies from data base for the US Maritime. I live near the Gulf of Mexico Very near the Houston Ship channel and Port of Texas City. I was hoping to hear some tug boats, ships, pilots etc. There's plenty of traffic. Is this do-able? And what kind of ranged do boat radios have? any advice appreciated

thanks
Dave

And what kind of ranged do boat radios have? any advice appreciated
Propagation depends upon a number of factors, including but not limited to power (wattage) , potential obstructions, weather conditions , frequency used, and more.

That said, over water, signals travel farther than over land.

You may receive signals up to 25 or 30 miles away. Maybe more. It all depends.

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
Try marine channels 16, 22A, and 13.

Channel 13 is used for large vessels to make passing agreements and also contact bridges to have them opened. Not being in your area, but in parts of the inland rivers channel 67 is used instead of 13.

Most likely you could just scan the other VHF-FM marine channels listed for commercial to see which are active in your area.

If you have a scanner which has service search you could just search the complete marine band to find activity in the area.

Endurordr

I programmed my BC125AT with all of the marine band channels to listen to in the South Padre Island area. It works very well when I am in Port Isabel and SPI. Doesn’t work as well in Laguna Vista, even just a few blocks from the bay. I will have to get an attic antenna to listen to marine band inside the house in Laguna Vista.

DHDaniel

I'm getting alot of marine & Coast Guard talk. I'm in Baytown and I hear alot of the Port of Houston/ Ship Channel, its active.
I'm using a 20$ Amazon Mag mount scanner antenna stuck on a metal cookie sheet, placed on a Bookshelf somewhat near a window.
Works very well

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.