PSR500/PSR600: Newbie: MPSCS and GRE 500 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghatha

Hello All -

So I purchased a used but well maintained GRE 500, and downloaded the MPSCS trunked system info for Washtenaw County from Radio Reference. It is a P25 Phase I system. The "T" doesn't light up on the display but the 'G' does when I press the scan button. I am not hearing anything even though it is scanning. Can someone help me understand what I am doing wrong?

Thanks so much!

ScannerSK

Just to rule out a few things... How did you download the system and program it into your scanner?

Are you receiving any of the weather channels?

There are a lot of control channels in that system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100
When you press tune on the scanner can you enter a nearby primary control channel (shown in red color) and hear data on the frequency?

Most likely it is just how the scanner is programmed. Possibly the local control channels are not turned on in the scanner?

Shawn

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The G means the attenuator is set to global. It can be confusing as it does not mean the attenuator is on. Press FUNC ATT to toggle it off(/on).

As ScannerSK mentioned, the first step is determining that the scanner receives. Pressing Wx can help determine that. The next thing is what software are you using to program the scanner? Next, can you receive the control channel using the TUNE function (or manually entering the frequency with the scanner in MAN mode?

greghatha

Thanks for the reply! The weather channels are working so that's good. I used the Butel ARC 500 program to program. When I check the programming, the control freqs are in there along with the talk groups I selected. When I go to the tune mode and enter the control channel of 855.2875 I don't hear anything. But the display keeps flashing Tune >PAUSED<. Is that right?

ScannerSK

Yes, the scanner will alternate between "Tune"and "PAUSED" when in the tune mode and paused. You could press the pause button after entering the control channel and then the up/down arrows to see if you are receiving anything in the 800 MHz band.

If you are certain that specific control channel should be capable of being received in your area, I would try moving the scanner around or even relocating to a different area a few miles away. Strong radio interference in the area can wreck havoc on the GRE PSR500 scanners. Possibly you are too close to some type of cellphone tower?

Shawn

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The active control channel changes frequently. Make sure to check them all, including alternates.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
I always had a tough time getting my GRE 500 & 600 to work right on simulcast systems like Washtenaw. I only scan Flat Rock and Northville sites with that scanner and have much better results. However, Washtenaw traffic doesn't always broadcast on those sites. Sometimes playing around with ATT settings and different antenna setups and even moving the scanner just a couple feet can help improve things.

Hate to say, but I think you will have a hard time with that scanner on the Washtenaw system. Maybe not if you can find the sweet spot.

When you did your test in tuning mode you should have heard the data channel noise. The scanner should have showed you the decode percentage rate as well as other data. If it didn't, you are not hearing that tower. While in that mode try moving around and see if you can get the decode rate to appear with 60% or better, then try scanning the site again.

-Paul

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
The active control channel changes frequently. Make sure to check them all, including alternates.
That does not really apply for Michigan's MPSCS. Motorola systems, they stay on the one control frequency with one alternate. Kenwood systems on MPSCS although can switch from one of the four control frequencies.

I would test it by going outside the county to lessen the effect of picking up all the towers, but be in range to still get a signal of say 2-3+ bars from 1-2 towers. If it starts picking up then safe bet is that its the effect of all the towers and getting so much signal.
Try turning on the attenuater for washtenaw scanlist or tuning on the global one - GA on the display to lessen the signal.
Simulcast issues, some report taking the antenna off and use a paperclip so to further lessen the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.