Newbie Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ursula1114

Hi I have a basic uniden bc355c and I programmed the frequencies from the frequencies page listed here for Pender County and New Hanover...I can pick up dispatch clearly no trouble but I can not here the units...is this an antenna issue or do I need to do something else to get the units responses?...thanks for any help you can give me....ursula

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hi,
Well the bad news is it looks like everything in your area has switched to the VIPER system which is a trunked, and part digital system. You would need a trunktracker to track this system.

The dispatcher you are receiving is probably the VHF simulcast of the dispatch from the VIPER system. They usually keep one VHF frequency for dispatch only - for their pagers and other alerting systems, but everything else is trunked. If you see the "depreciated" tag next to a frequency in the database it is no longer in use.

Now for the good news. I have monitored small trunked systems with a conventional scanner. It can be done with some systems and it's worth a try. You may be able to hear non-digital transmissions.

Program all the frequencies - 866.92500, 867.16250, 867.45000, 868.15000, 868.45000c, into 1 bank.

Lock out the control channel (the one that sounds like a diesel truck idling), and scan the other four.
It must scan the rest because the frequency will change with each transmission.

You will hear everything on the system and won't have the benefit of channel tags but you may be able to monitor it. Otherwise you will need at least a trunktracker, preferably digital, $$$.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.