Newbie needing help in Phoenix area

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramerdc9

I have some scanning knowledge behind me, however with all the new info out there, things are getting pretty complicated. First, is phoenix all digital and has it been rebanded? Second, is it waste to get a pro-94 for my area? I can get a pretty good deal on one. Also, I see that the new digital scanners will be able to reband, how difficult will this be? Would it be wise to wait and see what comes out in the future? I'm willing to spend the money for a digital scanner, but don't want it to be outdated soon after I purchase it. In addition, what does a tag mean? Any help or other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

N8IAA

Go to the database here on RR. Look up your county and city. If it is trunked, check out if it is digital(P-25 will be the key word). Conventional will be 150mhz and 450mhz frequencies. Another place to look here in the forums, is the Arizona forum. You might even find someone in your locale and meet up to discuss scanning.
Larry

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Greetings Kramer! :)

Lots to listen to out here, both analog and digital. To answer your questions:

1. Phoenix has not yet rebanded, and it's not all digital yet but I'm sure within the next 5 years just about everything worth listening to will be.

2. The Pro-94 will not reband, so I'd recommend getting a scanner that will. You can find a list of scanners that will not reband here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding#Which_Scanners_Stop_Working.3F so check this to make sure the trunking scanner you buy will be able to reband.

3. The newest digitals will have a simple patch that you download from the internet and apply to the scanner. The Unidens seem to have more of a level of complexity here, there's an ESN number and checksum you need to register with Uniden to receive updates - not sure how that works but I've heard mixed reviews. The GRE's patch process seems to be much simpler, but the GRE scanner is also not as intuitive to program as the Unidens are.

4. Would it be wise to wait? I think now is a great time to take the digital plunge. The Uniden's hardware seems to be designed with evolution in mind, meaning that if you buy a BC396 or 996 today, the next "digital scanner" will be a firmware update you purchase and apply to the scanner you already own. Pretty cool! The GRE's also seem to be designed with this idea in mind but no word yet on whether or not they plan to implement a paid firmware upgrade path. Either way, today's digital scanners are much better than the first generation was, and much more expandable. I recommend the GRE myself (although I have yet to get one) but others here who have them say they're the cat's meow for monitoring the digital stuff out here.

5. Tags? I assume you mean what is the tag all about in the RRDB. I'm kinda hazy on that myself, but the radioreference blog has an article that explains what that is far better than I could: http://radioreference.blogspot.com/2008/05/as-many-are-aware-back-in-january-of.html

Hope that helps. Lots of helpful folks here in AZ so if you have any other questions ask away!
-AZ

kramerdc9

Thanks

Thanks for the advice I have been given. I am looking forward to scanning and will pass on the pro-94. I think I will look towards the purchase of the 396 or GRE. Have heard better things about the 500 and 600. Anyways, thanks and happy scanning.

Greetings Kramer! :)

1. Phoenix has not yet rebanded, and it's not all digital yet but I'm sure within the next 5 years just about everything worth listening to will be.

I wonder when the DPS is going to get with modern times and go digital? I read about them looking at options a while back, but have heard nothing more.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I wonder when the DPS is going to get with modern times and go digital? I read about them looking at options a while back, but have heard nothing more.

I'm sure any digital radio system for them is a long ways off. Unlike the other agencies out here, DPS has PLENTY of room left on their existing radio system thanks to the new frequencies they acquired from MCSO, and there's no reason to fix what isn't broken, especially when you consider that the cost of upgrading their entire statewide radio system to digital would be astrogynormous.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.