Newbie needs direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob497

Hello all, found your forum and hoping it's the help I need.

I'm looking for a programmable walkie talkie, that I can use at work ( private security).
I know absolutely nothing about radios and frequencies.

First, I have a company supplied radio, but do not know the freq. How do I find it?

Second, I'm looking for a $200-300 radio, programmable and wearable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

SCPD

QRT
Welcome

Hello all, found your forum and hoping it's the help I need.

I'm looking for a programmable walkie talkie, that I can use at work ( private security).
I know absolutely nothing about radios and frequencies.

First, I have a company supplied radio, but do not know the freq. How do I find it?

Second, I'm looking for a $200-300 radio, programmable and wearable.

First off, welcome to the board.
You're gonna need a little help figuring out what freq your work radio is on.
You're also going to need to know a little more than the frequency. There are probably some pl's, or dpl's to know, or possibly NAC or color codes, depending on what type of system your work is on.

I'm thinking what you want to get is a radio that you can monitor work with. This may not be too difficult, if you can tell us more about the system. The easiest thing to do, if you want to do it, is tell us the name of your employer, and where it is at. This may be something you don't want to do, but not knowing that makes it quite a bit difficult to help you.

If you're looking to get a radio to transmit on your work frequencies, this probably won't happen. There's quite a bit involved in doing this, and I'm confident you couldn't do it yourself.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the above. . .

If you are lucky and your employer uses either VHF or UHF conventional radio, you can get a Baofeng radio on Amazon for well less than $100. However, the old saying "You get what you pay for" applies.

If you are unlucky and your employer uses a trunked radio system, then you'll be out of your target price range. Then getting it programmed will also be a cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.