Newbie Needs Help Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beentruckin05

I have purchased the radioshack pro-163 scanner. I have purchased the scanner software, and pc cable but I cannot seem to program my scanner. I have downloaded the database from radioreference.com into the scanner supposedly but I am obviously not doing something right because the scanner just won't seem to program. If anyone would be willing to walk me thru this or give me some info I would greatly appreciate it.

SCPD

QRT
Are you you uploaded the programming in the scanner & also you have the bank(S) enabled that the frequencies were uploaded to?.
Also not to miss the obvious, make sure You have the latest drivers for your USB cable

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Before we go any further, let's first validate you got the right scanner for your desired app. The 163 is an analog-only scanner, and won't copy digital systems, which many metro areas are moving towards these days. Go up to the blue toolbar under the RadioReference logo, float the mouse over Database then select Database Home. Using the pulldowns that you will see, find the areas you wish to hear. Supply the URL(s) in your reply.

Now when you say 'PC Cable' I'm hoping you mean either the RS or GRE USB cable; PCs these days don't have serial ports, so this is a necessary step. Along with that, you need to install drivers so that the PC will recognize the USB device. The 2 cable SKUs are found in this article (anything in blue is a link)...

PSR-300/400 Software and USB Support - The RadioReference Wiki

Have the drivers been installed? Are you sure that a COM port has been assigned that is available? What OS are you running on the PC?

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.