newbie needs help...tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrx

After the Tornados, 18 inch snow and the flood over the last six or seven weeks i am very interested in learning how to monitor the AWIN radio service... I am in stone county AR.. any help will be appreciated.
I have searched and cannot find anything concrete on what to do... which scanners will work... which is the best and which is the best for the money.. in other words which is better for the budget.
If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be deeply appreciated. Tutorials websites... yahoo groups etc.
Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You'll need a digital scanner for AWIN. Current digital models are:

• BCD996T Mobile
  • BCD396T Handheld
  • PRO-96 Handheld
  • PRO-2096 Mobile
  • PSR-500 Handheld
  • PSR-600 Mobile
Lots of information about these models in the wiki.

Last edited:

mrx

thanks

which of those models is the best for the money... and their functions?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'm partial to the 996 and 396, but hardly impartial. Your best bet is to read the various reviews already in these forums, read the wiki articles, and come to your own decision.

mrx

wow

i did a search and most of those models were in the 500 dollar range... guess i will be gathering up a load of my old scanners and selling them to upgrade. thanks for the input.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yep, they are all pretty much $499.95 new. You can find used units on E*Bay, sometimes (but do make sure it is a credible seller...there are a few bad stories on these boards, too).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Nothing against it, in particular. I just tend to recommend new models over discontinued ones and also models I developed over ones developed prior to my involvement in the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.